Engineering/architect costs in Central Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey, do any of you know the approximate cost to hire an electrical architect to prepare drawings and load calculations that are required to submit with the electrical permit application?

This is for a pizza restaurant conversion/remodel in a mall, area of approximately 24' wide x 75' deep. Includes upgrading service from existing 200 amp to 400 amp, 208Y/120v 3 phase.

Danke!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Hey, do any of you know the approximate cost to hire an electrical architect to prepare drawings and load calculations that are required to submit with the electrical permit application?
Do you want an electrical engineer, an architect, or both? You are very unlikely to find a single person with both credentials.

Much depends on the level of detail the AHJ wants to see. If you need a formal drawing, done in CAD, and if you need a formal calculation, complete with statements of assumptions, methods, and results, then the work scope is significant. If you only need a hand sketch and a few notes showing loading conditions, it will be much less expensive. In either event, if you need the documents to be sealed and signed by a PE, then that person will need to include a share of the costs of maintaining "errors and omissions" insurance.

ron

As mentioned by Charlie, it depends on the level of detail.

If the project is small, it could end up being 3-4% of expected Construction Cost (I'm giving it to you in % of construction since that is likely what you already have an idea of). A larger project may be closer to 1-2% of construction costs.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The chief electrical guy said I am qualified, the plans should be "close" to CAD quality, and he's looking for load calcs, etc. The customer understands the cost must be borne.

I need a cost estimate regardless of who does it. I'm looking for an idea so I can include it in my proposal. So far, I've called three in my area and haven't gotten called back yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.