ENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can ENT be used in a Type 1 construction as long as the ENT & boxes are behind a 15 min rated wall/ceiling assembly ?

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
Three stories is still there, but there is an exception for sprinkled buildings.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Three stories is still there, but there is an exception for sprinkled buildings.
I may be mis-reading but it appears the sprinkler allows it to be exposed but as long as it's behind a 15min rated cover it's o.k. above 3 floors... wrong ??

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Call me contrary, but my understanding of the 3xx.10 "Uses Permitted" sections is that they are a list of allowed uses, and if you find any one item in the list that covers your use, it's allowed, without regard to what any other items in the list says. "You may use it like so OR so OR so . . ." [Ideally written so that the 3xx.10 list never overlaps the list in 3xx.12 "Uses Not Permitted," but I guess if your situation meets both lists, the 3xx.12 prohibition controls.]

Then (2017) 362.10(4) allows ENT to be used "in concealed, dry, and damp locations not prohibited by 362.12". That means as soon as it's concealed, it's allowed by 362.10(4), and the 15 minute finish rating requirement of 362.10(2) is moot.

If this is not the intended logic, then the wording in the 3xx.10 sections which use "shall be permitted as follows" or "in the following" really needs to be updated. Maybe to something like "shall be permitted when in compliance with all of the following, as applicable".

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.