Entering #6 Bare ground wire into breaker panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L Turner

Is there and approved connector for a #6 bare wire? Does it require a connector or bushing? Can it just enter through the 1/4" small KO already stamped into the top of the panel without a connector if it stapled?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It can enter with out a connector. There is a connector on the market and the manufacturer would like for the industry to believe it is required but it isn't.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It can enter with out a connector. There is a connector on the market and the manufacturer would like for the industry to believe it is required but it isn't.

Roger

They haven't met (at the St Marteen resort) with the right CodeMakingPanel member yet :D

buddhakii

Not disagreeing but why is it not required to have some kind of choker on it. I can't just drill a hole in a cabinet for lets say a #4 and run it in that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not disagreeing but why is it not required to have some kind of choker on it. I can't just drill a hole in a cabinet for lets say a #4 and run it in that.
The conductor is going to be bonded to the enclosure by some means so there is no reason to have a special connector for it to enter the enclosure

Roger

jwelectric

I am going to install a 3 foot piece of IMC to the meter to protect the grounding electrode conductor. The IMC if bonded to the meter base by two lock nuts tightened real tight.

When installing metal race ways on the interior of the building I use these same lock nuts and it is okay for the equipment grounding conductors. I am speaking of the connection not the pipe.

Anyone see anything wrong with my GEC installation?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
afraid so....
You might consider PVC

250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation.

(E) Enclosures for Grounding Electrode Conductors. Ferrous metal enclosures for grounding electrode conductors shall be electrically continuous from the point of attachment to cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode and shall be securely fastened to the ground clamp or fitting. Nonferrous metal enclosures shall not be required to be electrically continuous. Ferrous metal enclosures that are not physically continuous from cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode shall be made electrically continuous by bonding each end of the raceway or enclosure to the grounding electrode conductor. Bonding shall apply at each end and to all intervening ferrous raceways, boxes, and enclosures between the cabinets or equipment and the grounding electrode. The bonding jumper for a grounding electrode conductor raceway or cable armor shall be the same size as, or larger than, the enclosed grounding electrode conductor. Where a raceway is used as protection for a grounding electrode conductor, the installation shall comply with the requirements of the appropriate raceway article.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Gus, I think in Mike's scenario both ends of the IMC would be bonded to the GEC and two lock nuts at the enclosure end would be sufficient for that end.

250.97 Bonding for Over 250 Volts.
For circuits of over 250 volts to ground, the electrical continuity of metal raceways and cables with metal sheaths that contain any conductor other than service conductors shall be ensured by one or more of the methods specified for services in 250.92(B), except for (B)(1).
Exception: Where oversized, concentric, or eccentric knockouts are not encountered, or where a box or enclosure with concentric or eccentric knockouts is listed to provide a reliable bonding connection, the following methods shall be permitted:

(1) Threadless couplings and connectors for cables with metal sheaths

(2) Two locknuts, on rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit, one inside and one outside of boxes and cabinets

(3) Fittings with shoulders that seat firmly against the box or cabinet, such as electrical metallic tubing connectors, flexible metal conduit connectors, and cable connectors, with one locknut on the inside of boxes and cabinets

(4) Listed fittings

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Roger and Mike but I find this section very vague. I've always thought that in order for the metallic raceway that contains the GEC to be bonded to the enclosure it would require a bonding locknut. For what it's worth I don't know where you would find this requirement but Mike Holt seems to agree:

1100205275_2.jpg

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Roger
It's called a Kenny Clamp but as Roger stated it is not required. As long as you have properly secured the wire before it enters through the 1/4" hole you do not need this clamp.

http://www.mwelectricmfg.com/KennyClamp.html

BTW, I think they're about $8.00@

Status
Not open for further replies.