Epoxy on floor hazardous floor question.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
It took me five years and five attorneys on a Mechanic's Lien. Then settled outside the courtroom on the day of the trial, for my attorney fees.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
The ESD 'conductive' floorings are most likely your answer. We have them here for electronics. Our staff wear EDS shoes or heal straps to keep themselves grounded when walking around. The EDS carts also have a dangling cable that drags the floor to keep the carts grounded while moving them around as well.

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Thanks all. I'm comfortable with going 5 feet past the area classification line with the conductive epoxy.
So let it be written....so let it be done.

kokoyiw

New User
Occupation
Builder
I received the question below in a kind of vague fashion. But can one of you hazardous gurus weigh in on this and possibly quote the code?
I guess the question is: does the floor need to be conductive to keep things grounded...perhaps?
Any help would be great.

PowerPete69,
I am working on a project, which will include repair of the floor in extrusion and weighing areas. One possible solution for the repair is to cover the old concrete with epoxy resine. However, in this case the floor will not be conductive any more. I am wandering if there is any Avient requirement or guideline to have conductive floor in Hazardous (Classified) Area to reduce the risk of dust explosion. If yes, could you please send me detailed desciption about the requirements.
According to the National Electric Code (NEC), hazardous (classified) locations are areas where flammable gases or vapors, flammable liquids, combustible dust, or easily ignitable fibers or flyings may exist in sufficient quantities to produce an explosion or fire. The classification of these areas is based on the likelihood of hazardous material being present in the air in sufficient quantities to produce an explosion or fire. In areas where the concentration of flammable material is likely to exceed 25 percent of its lower explosive limit (LEL), a conductive floor is required. This is because conductive flooring helps to dissipate any static electricity that may accumulate and could ignite the flammable material. However, if the concentration of flammable material is less than 25 percent of its LEL, a conductive floor is not required. It's also worth noting that the type of flooring used in hazardous locations must be listed and labeled for use in those locations, and must meet certain requirements for electrical resistance and grounding. The NEC provides detailed guidelines on this topic, which can be found in Article 500-503 of the code. Therefore, if the extrusion and weighing areas are classified as hazardous locations, then the use of a conductive floor would be required if the concentration of flammable material is likely to exceed 25 percent of its LEL.