Equipment grounding bar at main panel/service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwertytfc

Is there any code you are aware of that says I MUST install an equipment grounding bar kit in the main service panel/first point of disconnect? Or is it acceptable to use the existing terminal bars that have the grounded neutral supply conductor landed on them from meter with the bonding screw installed for both the branch neutrals and grounding wires? If this makes any sense to you. Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is there any code you are aware of that says I MUST install an equipment grounding bar kit in the main service panel/first point of disconnect? Or is it acceptable to use the existing terminal bars that have the grounded neutral supply conductor landed on them from meter with the bonding screw installed for both the branch neutrals and grounding wires? If this makes any sense to you. Thanks

Not unless there is not enough spaces for all the neutrals because you can't put two grounded/neutral conductors in the same hole. Most panel mfg will allow two EGC in one hole but not the grounded conductors. Then you would need to add an extra bar for the EGCs.
Most panels suitable for use as service equipment, will have both bars linked/bonded together, so either bar is fine to land both EGC and grounded conductors.

With that said, if there is any chance the owner might want to add a generator at a later time, it's good practice to have a separate bar for the EGCs.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Is there any code you are aware of that says I MUST install an equipment grounding bar kit in the main service panel/first point of disconnect?

No. There is only a code reference that says you can't land neutrals on an EGC bar at the main. I can't remember the code reference at the moment and my glasses are across the room.

Or is it acceptable to use the existing terminal bars that have the grounded neutral supply conductor landed on them from meter with the bonding screw installed for both the branch neutrals and grounding wires?

Yes, that is acceptable.

If this makes any sense to you. Thanks

Home inspector or electrical inspector that is giving you grief?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

It is acceptable, especially when the main bonding jumper is a screw. Code is a little vague about it but it's done by everyone all the time around here.

... Most panel mfg will allow two EGC in one hole but not the grounded conductors. ....

Actually code does not allow two grounded conductors under one terminal even if mfr says nothing about it.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It is acceptable, especially when the main bonding jumper is a screw. Code is a little vague about it but it's done by everyone all the time around here.

Actually code does not allow two grounded conductors under one terminal even if mfr says nothing about it.

You just said the same thing I said, yes to two EGC, no to two grounded.
Most panel mfg will allow two EGC in one hole but not the grounded conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.