Equipment grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay2685

Yellow all I have a question about grounding .the other day I ran wire to a 240v 3 phase 4 wire panel . And noticed that there was no grounding bar . Just the neutral bar . Should there not be a grounding bar for equipment grounding

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yellow all I have a question about grounding .the other day I ran wire to a 240v 3 phase 4 wire panel . And noticed that there was no grounding bar . Just the neutral bar . Should there not be a grounding bar for equipment grounding

I work in several old buildings that are all conduit and there are no green wires or equipment ground busses in the panels since everything is equipment grounded by the conduit.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yep, works fine until someone runs say a piece of MC cable to the panel and instead of adding a ground bus sticks the EGC into the neutral bus. See that a lot.

Not a problem if the panel is the main service & the neutral is bonded to the can.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I'm interested in if 250.130(C)(4) would apply here>

(4) An equipment grounding conductor that is part of
another branch circuit that originates from the enclosure
where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch
circuit originates

I'm unsure if this is exclusively for extensions of , or new branch circuits originating from a older non-grounding OCPD enclosure

Perhaps I'm grasping code straws , but let's say one did pick up a EGC from another source

If it was make back to said enclosure , would it not have to serve the largest OCPD?

~RJ~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes the electrical sys is all metal conduit.

Metallic conduit and tubing is a listed EGC in 250.118 so no wire type EGC's are required. Back 30 years ago we never installed a wire type EGC in a solid metal raceway, it was considered a waste of money. It was common to see no green conductors or EGC bar in a panel.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
crosspost.....

so , would installing a 'snap around' grounding bushing on said emt, and making it to a Gbar then be complaint to land any ecg's introduced?

~RJ~

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
crosspost.....

so , would installing a 'snap around' grounding bushing on said emt, and making it to a Gbar then be complaint to land any ecg's introduced?

~RJ~

The panel enclosure is already grounded by the metallic raceway so unless it over 250 volts to ground and there are concentric or eccentric KO's no bonding jumper is necessary. Just screw the ground bar to the enclosure.

Jay2685

240 volt 3phase panel

240 volt 3phase panel

Thank you all for your reply. The system is metallic conduit
And not a service panel . And noticed that the nutreal bar is
Bonded to the panel ,which if I understand artical 200,250 is a no,no .

Status
Not open for further replies.