Equipotential Bonding for Fiberglass pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klove826

New User
Occupation
computer sales
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. We installed a fiberglass pool last summer. I applied for permits, but they were put on hold because I had to get a buffer authorization (long story). We worked to get this authorization, but went ahead and installed the pool. Pool is fiberglass, no handrails, nothing metal inside the pool or around the pool. The copper wire around the perimeter of the pool was attached to a grounding steak in the ground below the exterior electrical panel on our house. We have passed all inspections, with the exception of the equipotential bonding. The inspector says everything is good, but he cannot see the copper wire going around the perimeter of the pool, so they said we will have to 1. find someone with a tool that can detect the copper wire around the perimeter or 2. dig up the concrete so they can see the wire. The inspector mentioned that we have to follow NEC code 2017, and when I read this, it says that the 4 point bonding is not required for non conductive pools, and fiberglass is non conductive, so my question is do we still have to do the equipotential bonding, for a fiberglass pool?
We do have concrete all the way around the pool, but did not use rebar or mesh to reinforce the concrete. There is nothing to attach or bond around the perimeter, but do you still have to bond around the shell of the pool if there is nothing to bond it to? Any advice would be appreciated. We are located in North Carolina. I have not had any success in finding someone that can detect the copper wire through the concrete, and wondering if there is anything else we could do besides remove the concrete.
Thank you!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The rules governing the Forum prohibit us from going into detail on "Do-It-Yourself" questions but we can confirm the inspector is correct in regard the the grounding requirement (there is actually far more involved).
Your best bet would be to find an electrical contractor familiar with pool installations and have him address the issue with the inspector.

(see private message)

Status
Not open for further replies.