Equipotential bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicLove

Occupation
Electrician
Where does the equipotential bonding conductor connect to once all the metal parts are bonded? How does this tie into the system in the case of a pool. When you bond the pump and all metal within 5’, where do you connect the other side?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Where does the equipotential bonding conductor connect to once all the metal parts are bonded? How does this tie into the system in the case of a pool. When you bond the pump and all metal within 5’, where do you connect the other side?
Bonding the pump to the pool, the ground grid, and the metal is all that is required as I understand it. It is not there as a fault clearing mechanism.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Indirectly the equipotential bonding is connected thru the equipment grounding conductor of the pool pump but as Bob stated that is not the purpose of the bonding. It is there to keep any stray voltages at the same potential anywhere around the pool. Like a bird on a wire.....there may be potential voltage but you won't feel it because everything is at the same potential.

If the pool pump is double insulated then the #8 bonding must get tied to the equipment grounding conductor of the pool pump.

NicLove

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you. I was just curious. I have seen many pools without the proper bonding or access to bond the grid beneath the concrete. In cases where there is no other metal, such as ladders or lights within 5 ft. I was curious how to bond one piece of equipment if the other end did not tie in to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.