ESS Codes in CEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkahn299

Occupation
Engineer
Hello all, can someone tell me the major differences between energy storage codes in the NEC and in the CEC? The only requirement that I've seen in the CEC that isn't reflected in the NEC is the requirement for UL9540 on residential systems. Does anyone know if that still applies to encased Lithium batteries? UL6142 is the requirement for Lithium Batteries here in the US, does that satisfy the CEC requirement as well?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
In the California Resi code you have to have 3ft between ESS units unless they've passed a UL9540A test with a smaller distance, in which case the AHJ may agree to that smaller distance. Some AHJs have just agreed if you show them the listing and or instructions, others also want the report, still others have asked for per-project review by the local fire department, which depending on the fire department may or may not be worth the trouble.

jaggedben

Occupation
Sorry, I realize you want to know about the Canadian Code. I don't know anything about that, but I can't tell you that UL9540 and UL9540A are used here in the US. I'm not familiar with use of UL1642* in any codes, but looking that up it is a standard for battery cells or packs. It doesn't seem to apply to an 'Energy Storage System'. Compliance with UL1642 will not satisfy a code that requires compliance with UL9540 or UL9540A testing.

jkahn299

Occupation
Engineer
In the 2020 NEC it states "706.5 Listing. Energy storage systems shall be listed." That tells me that the system must be listed, but does not specifically call out UL9540. It only calls out UL9540 under 706 "Informational Note No. 3: The following standards are frequently referenced for the installation of energy storage systems:"

UL1642 is a listing that specifically covers "avoiding the risk of fire or explosion when lithium-ion batteries are working in a product".

From what I can find online "Certification of an energy storage system to UL 9540 is currently not required in most jurisdictions in the United States. However, the California building code has adopted International Residential Code (IRC), which requires UL 9540 for ESS." I assume this also applies to your first comment about the 3ft limit and UL9540A, that's in the IRC?

My question on this thread is related directly to Canadian code, and the UL9540 requirement. It appears all residential ESS must be listed to 9540 in the Canadian code? It's odd cause from what I've seen the Canadian code tends to lag behind the NEC, seems weird they would have a requirement that just came around in CA's most recent IRC...

jaggedben

Occupation
Actually I'm not aware of any instance in which the NEC calls out a specific UL standard in a requirement, rather than an informational note. AFAIK, while the NEC requires a multitude of things to be listed it leaves the matter of what is an acceptable standard and testing organization entirely up to AHJs. So I think that's just an organizational/stylistic difference between NFPA and ICC.

Like I said I'm not familiar with the Canadian code. But I imagine if they specifically say UL9540 then that's what they mean and UL1642 is not adequate.
(Which makes some sense to me. If a UL 1642 listing gives me confidence that only one in a million cells will catch fire, but I'm putting a million of them in an installation inside a thousand units, that probably calls for additional standards and testing to ensure that one bad cell won't set the other 999,999 on fire.)

The resi code (international and California) does specifically reference UL9540 and the 3ft limit yes. The exception to the 3ft limit is by way of reference to the fire code, which in turn refers to UL9540A.

Status
Not open for further replies.