ESS Requirements for different States

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
I know every state is different, and I have been assuming that I would need to comply with the stringent requirements and limitations found in NFPA 855, but as I have been digging into which specific standards apply here in Ohio, I can only find that our 2019 Ohio Residential Code, which is based on 2018 International Residential Code requires that we meet 2017 NEC when it comes to ESS. And 2017 does not reference NFPA 855 so it looks like there are no limitations on size or location of ESS in Ohio currently. Is anyone from Ohio that or a similar state that mainly uses NEC 2017 that can confirm that? The last ESS install I did I told the homeowner it needed to be enclosed in a drywalled closet, and I have another install coming up and want to make sure I do what is required. Another way of asking similar, is anyone in a state where NFPA 855 compliance is required? and if so, what document references the NFPA 855 requirement?

Thanks, Ken

ron

As you mentioned, Ohio follows the 2019 Residential Code of Ohio, which is based on the 2018 IRC.

The 2018 IRC has section R327, which has requirements for Stationary Storage Battery Systems. (This has been updated to Section R328 in the 2021 IRC, if you work in jurisdictions that follow the newer version.)

The ESS cannot be installed in a habitable space of the dwelling unit.
1683163484506.png

Very few jurisdictions in the country have anything to do with NFPA 855, so you can forget about it unless you work in those specific jurisdictions (like NYC).

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
As you mentioned, Ohio follows the 2019 Residential Code of Ohio, which is based on the 2018 IRC.

The 2018 IRC has section R327, which has requirements for Stationary Storage Battery Systems. (This has been updated to Section R328 in the 2021 IRC, if you work in jurisdictions that follow the newer version.)

The ESS cannot be installed in a habitable space of the dwelling unit.
View attachment 2565119

Very few jurisdictions in the country have anything to do with NFPA 855, so you can forget about it unless you work in those specific jurisdictions (like NYC).
Thanks! I don't know how I missed that in R327. Installing in an unfinished basement so does not appear to be an issue.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Be prepared for updates in the next code cycle. You'll have to finish that basement in the future (or make a finished room within it) to fire separate it from the dwelling. The more ESS are installed in your area, the more AHJs will probably start asking questions and possibly look ahead to new requirements.

pv_n00b

Expect to see 855 incorporated by reference in fire and building codes in the next cycle. I doubt it will show up in the NEC.