Estimating & Field Experience

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'm not sure how someone can be a good estimator without having been an electrician or work closely with someone in the office who does.
How can one accurately price a job and all the components(direct and indirect) that go into "building" the job if they haven't actually done it or gotten feedback from those that have done the installation.

I've worked for a few companies where estimating process and reviews involved people that didn't FULLY understand everything it actually took to "build" the job.

I owe a lot to the people on this site for helping understand the "field" aspect and become as close to an electrician(LOLOLOL) as possible.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
OK, what is your routine once it's decided this is going to be a bid?
Ok. I got that down., at least I feel I do.

Many things...attached is a little check list I recently compiled. I've always reviewed these items but finally put them in a list. The systems areas are not complete. I will discuss more tomorrow...nite nite time for me...lol

Attachments

• Estimating Review Checklist.pdf
    72.5 KB · Views: 90

cdslotz

I'm not sure how someone can be a good estimator without having been an electrician or work closely with someone in the office who does.
How can one accurately price a job and all the components(direct and indirect) that go into "building" the job if they haven't actually done it or gotten feedback from those that have done the installation.

I've worked for a few companies where estimating process and reviews involved people that didn't FULLY understand everything it actually took to "build" the job.

I owe a lot to the people on this site for helping understand the "field" aspect and become as close to an electrician(LOLOLOL) as possible.
Before I retired, every estimator, project mgr, owner, head of service dept ..........ALL were Masters, ALL were proficient estimators, some were former owners...but to your point, ALL were field apprentices. electricians, foremen, superintendents. That experience was a requirement to be hired as an estimator where I worked. The same goes for when I was coming up, that every owner I ever worked for were excellent estimators.
That's why estimating is king in this business.......

sbirnbaum

Occupation
Estimator
Ok. I got that down., at least I feel I do.

Many things...attached is a little check list I recently compiled. I've always reviewed these items but finally put them in a list. The systems areas are not complete. I will discuss more tomorrow...nite nite time for me...lol
This is a great list! Thank you for sharing.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Before I retired, every estimator, project mgr, owner, head of service dept ..........ALL were Masters, ALL were proficient estimators, some were former owners...but to your point, ALL were field apprentices. electricians, foremen, superintendents. That experience was a requirement to be hired as an estimator where I worked. The same goes for when I was coming up, that every owner I ever worked for were excellent estimators.
That's why estimating is king in this business.......
I agree. Unfortunately I don't have that field experience.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
None of our estimators were electricians. They know the software needed to do take offs and they ask questions to guys who work in the field.
I have found that the PMs and estimators for contractors of all kinds who used to be tradesmen tend to spend a lot of their time on the minutia of things that in the end just do not matter. It is an estimate after all. It is not supposed to be perfect.

Occupation
Electrical Estimator/Project Manager
I've been an estimator for 27 years and only had exposure in the field for one year. to this day, I get excited when I get a new project. no two projects are the same. thru the years the feedback from foremen in the field has been extremely vital to a successful bidder. so, I have to agree with infinity, the possibility is endless when you find a willing mentor to help you navigate thru the different phases of estimating, you become more focused, detail-oriented, and problem-solving by determining potential flaws in the drawings (which you will always find them).
None of our estimators were electricians. They know the software needed to do take offs and they ask questions to guys who work in the field.

cdslotz

I have found that the PMs and estimators for contractors of all kinds who used to be tradesmen tend to spend a lot of their time on the minutia of things that in the end just do not matter. It is an estimate after all. It is not supposed to be perfect.
You can say that because of the term "estimating"....but trust me when I say....commercial estimating is an exact science.