Estimating software

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Man

Hello, new guy here and wanted to get some advise on estimating software. I have always done it old school (since I'm old). I own a small electrical contracting business and this will be a big step as I'm not a tech savvy type. Just wanted to get some opinions from some who have used it as to the most user friendly/accurate software. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

BTW very nice forum you have here.

John120/240

I here you. Use a tablet, #2 pencil, & noggin. I too need to advance in my

technolgoy ways. Still haven't given up the rotary dial phone. For small kitchen

& bath remodel & finished basements.

Mojo123

EBM

EBM

I use Electrical Bid Manager also. It can be a little finicky at times but overall it is easy to use. I would definitely recommend it to a first time user. :thumbsup:

hpe1087

Estimating Software

Estimating Software

I will add another positive note regarding Vision Infosoft EBM. I've used EBM since 2002 and it has improved quite a bit since then. EBM now has on-screen take off capabiliy whish is very helpful for those plans only available online or on screen.

I didn't need all the bells & whistles other programs offer and felt that EBM had a good system that can grow with you.

Be aware that, as with most estimating companies , you will need to subscribe to a "maintenance" program that will offer updates to the estimating program.

Although the basic program does come with a basic material database, you may wish to have a larger material database found in Vision's Epic material database. That does get rather pricey! :eek:

I do not do as much commercial bidding as I once did and will now make manual price adjustments to much of the basic materials I use. Otherwise, I'd have to subscribe to Vision's update services.

cdslotz

EBM also has a residential version. I did not know that.

FWIW, I could never-ever do a takeoff from a computer screen

E Man

I can get a good deal on a McCormick package. Anyone have any experience with McCormick that you would share? Thanks

cdslotz

I've used Accubid, McCormick and currently using Conest.

All three are great and are the standards for large contractors.
You can also shell out many thousands of dollars for these systems.
I was just thinking you were concerned with cost, that's why I suggested Vision.
It's a great system for a small contractor, and it's very reasonably priced.

73cj5

I use McCormick daily from design build projects to full bid packages. I work for a large EC and they have always had it so I did not have a choice.

Only negatives that I can see are remote options for the field, wish there was an Ipad/tablet version.

I hate having to go back to the office:)

Once you learn where the items/assemblies are you will fly through it.

I have not tried any others, but I may try Conest on my own to see what I may be missing......

GUNNING

Coffee?

Coffee?

I just downloaded Turbobid. Its large. Expensive. Has a lot of tie-ins such as Traser ex for material pricing and Planswift which will translate and do a takeoff from electronic plans.

Im looking for the "go get me coffee button" under Files but might be under Edit or Help. Looks like a Cadillac and what I need is a Schwin or maybe a Ford F150.

Have not gotten vary far. I have two weeks to evaluate. ... there it is Get Beverage ... subheading coffee .... :?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Bill Ruffner offers good support for Turbobid, if you feel overwhelmed just take your time. Any software has a break-in time for both the system and user.

For me, for houses, you can't go too wrong with a handmade spreadsheet - you just won't get coffee delivered with it. :)

I use TurboBid and love it after getting comfortable using it. It took me a while to but now I can put bids together rather quickly. Bill also offers support if you need help using his software, I felt overwhelmed at first and gave him a call and he set up a time to help me. I really appreciated that!

ddelliquadri

E Man,
How is your review of Electrical Bid Manager going? Full disclosure: I am the director of marketing for Vision InfoSoft.

Two of your concerns posted originally was about user-friendliness and accuracy of estimating software. I can assure you that all of the software discussed here offer the tools to create a very accurate estimate. In other words, they will guide a skilled estimator through the bid creation workflow. You know which software I'd recommend, but I highly suggest you spend a little time comparing. Or, at least create a short list of what is important to you (I suppose you already did that) and run it by your rep from each company. I'm not 100% about all the options, but you can also download a working demo and try it out yourself.

Regarding user-friendliness... the demo might help again. However, having a rep show you how specific processes are handled is probably best. We have thousands of customers, but some estimators like the design of our competitors software. All of us software developers do everything possible to meet the interests of our customers and sometimes that takes us down slightly different paths. Having options is a great thing for all you estimators out there. By the way, user-friendly is actually one of the differentiating "features" we are most proud of.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions (private message on the board) or just post here.

cdslotz and hpe1087,
Thank you for the support! We do hear people talking about our software in regards to its value to smaller contractors. We have spent considerable resources on making sure our software has everything that an estimator needs to complete a successful bid. Also... stay tuned to our winter 2011/2012 updates. We are adding several highly requested "bells and whistles" that both small and large contractors want.

cdslotz
Never-ever do a takeoff from a computer screen? Never say never... :) Well, I totally understand your statement. Maybe you've never tried taking off while using two 24" (or larger) computer screens... one with your estimating software and the other with your takeoff tool.

hpe1087,
You are right about adding an EPIC Pricing subscription and how it gives you the ability to add additional materials to your bidding database. You are also right about it adding to the expense of using estimating software. The benefit of having a pricing service to use as a benchmark as well as updated price and labored items outweighs the cost for many estimators that are actively bidding. However, the construction industry just isn't what it used to be in many/most regions.

Good luck everyone on your search for estimating software!

Derrick Delliquadri
Learn Estimating Resource: www.visioninfosoft.com/blog/resources

Status
Not open for further replies.