Estimating Tool Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

3:23 Electric

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone have any software/apps that they recommend for estimating wiring a residential structure? I am interested to know if there are any helpful tools out there like this. I am just now starting full time in the business and wanting to learn all I can. If you have any ideas or advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
You need to work out unit pricing. Price per receptacle, switch, can, etc.. You may have to do a few to get enough data to do this accurately. But when you figure it out it makes it fast and easy. Just count them up and do the math.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Conest intellibid has residential assemblies. I’m pretty sure they still offer a “lite” version for basic estimating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Pricing for remodel, new construction, track homes, service work?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I will start off by telling you that any estimating program out there is only as good as the time you put in to it. Using an estimating program out of the box and expecting great results would be like figuring that buying Microsoft Word would instantly make your college term papers get a B or an A. That said, I have experienced 45 different estimating systems over the years and all had there pluses and minuses. All were geared toward more complex commercial estimating, but all had residential capability. All would require you to dial in the residential to make it accurate and quick. That said, for residential only, I would get in to an inexpensive program. This is relative, because none of them are cheap. You need to also decide, what you want the program to do, especially regarding material pricing. If your time is less valuable, then you can update your pricing manually, if more valuable you can spend an extra $1500 or so a year to for automatic pricing that you can rely on for about 75% of the stuff you use. The rest you need to stay on top of anyway. My self, I have found Accubid, and Conest to be top dogs for all around estimating. I don't like McCormick, period. I really like EBM from Visionsoft for a more budget approach, but still convenient and strong. EBM also has excellent support staff and they are small enough that you will get to know their names and they will know yours.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
When you are wiring the first few houses, keep track of all your hours, including supply house time, etc. Hopefully you will break it down to different tasks, such as the service, rough wiring, finish, etc.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I’ll add also that you can do this in Microsoft Excel. Many years ago when I was just doing residential, I built a spreadsheet of residential assemblies. I had a page of materials to manually update pricing, another page to cover labor, and then used all of those items to build my assemblies. I really didn’t know excel that well then but it wasn’t too hard to get proficient at it.

I would still recommend getting intellibid or something comparable because the time it took me to make that spreadsheet probably cost more than just buying a program, but if you don’t want to make that investment yet, Excel will work.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I’ll add also that you can do this in Microsoft Excel. Many years ago when I was just doing residential, I built a spreadsheet of residential assemblies. I had a page of materials to manually update pricing, another page to cover labor, and then used all of those items to build my assemblies. I really didn’t know excel that well then but it wasn’t too hard to get proficient at it.

I would still recommend getting intellibid or something comparable because the time it took me to make that spreadsheet probably cost more than just buying a program, but if you don’t want to make that investment yet, Excel will work.

been there done that also.

Occupation
Electrician
I've been using Electric Ease for several months. I don't do residential, but it does have residential assemblies for new construction and remodels. It isn't perfect, though. The company does have a good support team and has had a lot of dialogue with me about changes and improvements I'd like to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.