Estimating wiring for commercial

mylk100

Occupation
Electricians helper
Hello,
New estimator here and recent journeyman. I have 12 years of telecom and 5 yrs. of electrical experience (1 yr. as a journeyman).1 month of estimating.
I am not looking for a magic book for wiring but simply just some help with some of the odd ball things that I have come across. Is there a book out there that has diagrams of wiring for commercial buildings that would help me figure out estimating for jobs? Any help would be appreciated.

cdslotz

Are you already estimating under a chief estimator or a boss that can give you guidance?
Are you using software?
When estimating commercial there is a process you follow and repeat every job, regardless of the type of construction. It's done that way to eliminate mistakes, and omissions. The routine is something you are taught.
As far as "diagrams of wiring for commercial buildings that would help me figure out estimating for jobs" goes.....that would be the plans and specs already designed for you....you really don't need to know how to wire a 60A, 480V rooftop unit that shows 1" EMT w/3#6, #10G. You are literally just counting, measuring, entering and compiling.
Learn the routine.......

farmantenna

I'm not an estimator but JM electrician with Res/com construction and some Mccormick estimating experience.I can only recommend Google for books. The plans(MEP and A) and specifications are your guide. The A drawings will tell you the building type so you can determine material type. Open-to-deck without ceiling ? Knowing the building details can help.

An experienced electrician would have advantage over someone with none.I've experienced this with estimators, electrical and GC project managers. I had one estimator send boxes of 1/2",3/4" and 1" EMT 90s to the job. "please stop ordering materials for me" . I had someone( still don't know who she was) tell me, while at the job at slab stage, that a couple large feeders (4") would be overhead through the building. "Then you're doing it". I knew from experience that overhead would be very,very difficult by looking at the A drawings and I was right and underground went fabulous.

cdslotz

I'm not an estimator but JM electrician with Res/com construction and some Mccormick estimating experience.I can only recommend Google for books. The plans(MEP and A) and specifications are your guide. The A drawings will tell you the building type so you can determine material type. Open-to-deck without ceiling ? Knowing the building details can help.

An experienced electrician would have advantage over someone with none.I've experienced this with estimators, electrical and GC project managers. I had one estimator send boxes of 1/2",3/4" and 1" EMT 90s to the job. "please stop ordering materials for me" . I had someone( still don't know who she was) tell me, while at the job at slab stage, that a couple large feeders (4") would be overhead through the building. "Then you're doing it". I knew from experience that overhead would be very,very difficult by looking at the A drawings and I was right and underground went fabulous.
Sounds like you had zero pre-construction meetings with the estimator, PM, superintendent, where the estimator goes through every aspect of how he bid the job, every quote , any issues that need to flush out, etc...and turn the job over to the PM to purchase/manage. Estimators don't order material unless he is managing the job he bid. If he did, there was still no coordination meetings

farmantenna

I'm laughing. The company I work for doesn't have such meetings and they wouldn't help. I've done very small to very large jobs and stories I could tell you. Unbelievable. Honestly, I should be doing their job and they had and wanted me in the office doing this but they're polar opposite from me with Chaos, Alzheimer type atmosphere, ineptitude and just not truly focused enough for me to be part of that.

I've asked and received some jobs bid summaries and some seemed to be from a different job. Seriously. I had a double order of breakers arrive at a job. 1500 ARC fault. They ordered a Siemens quote that was all wrong (obsolete plan 800A changed to 600A) and I had to do it. They just ordered commercial 200 amp/w bypass meters 3 per stack. 276 day lead time and I caught the error 2-3 months after they ordered them. should have been 125 amp residential and 5 per stack because 3/stack was wayyyy to wide. sorry .......

mylk100

Occupation
Electricians helper
Are you already estimating under a chief estimator or a boss that can give you guidance?
Are you using software?
When estimating commercial there is a process you follow and repeat every job, regardless of the type of construction. It's done that way to eliminate mistakes, and omissions. The routine is something you are taught.
As far as "diagrams of wiring for commercial buildings that would help me figure out estimating for jobs" goes.....that would be the plans and specs already designed for you....you really don't need to know how to wire a 60A, 480V rooftop unit that shows 1" EMT w/3#6, #10G. You are literally just counting, measuring, entering and compiling.
Learn the routine.......
Thank you