Ethernet Antennas and grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have read most of the topic and Art 810.15 regarding this topic and I'm prepared to get beatup. At the university a contractor is install 1 1/2" metal goose neck antenna mast for wireless ethernet receivers. They are anchored to the side of two story concrete structures not within reach from any windows or doors. The cable running to the antenna is CAT 5 and the shield is grounded at the mast and to the equipment grounding system inside the building through the actual data unit. The sytem ground is only available on the other side of the building (several 100 ft away). Does the scope of art 810 cover this type of installation. It doesn't seem to read like it does. My rub is that art. 810.21 is for Receiving Stations which references art. 810 which does not list this type of application as part of the scope.
Have I gone to the dark side or simply gotten lost?

Appreciate any ideas,
Le

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
lwilmot said:
Yes, I have read most of the topic and Art 810.15 regarding this topic and I'm prepared to get beatup. At the university a contractor is install 1 1/2" metal goose neck antenna mast for wireless ethernet receivers. They are anchored to the side of two story concrete structures not within reach from any windows or doors. The cable running to the antenna is CAT 5 and the shield is grounded at the mast and to the equipment grounding system inside the building through the actual data unit. The sytem ground is only available on the other side of the building (several 100 ft away). Does the scope of art 810 cover this type of installation. It doesn't seem to read like it does. My rub is that art. 810.21 is for Receiving Stations which references art. 810 which does not list this type of application as part of the scope.
Have I gone to the dark side or simply gotten lost?

Appreciate any ideas,
Le
The title of 810 may be misleading and not current with technology.
The scope uses the words "such as".
Your antenna mast requires a bonding jumper to the a GES. Sorry about being 100 ft way but failure to establish an equalpotential ground will cause equipment damage in a lighting strike. There was a proposal for the 2008 NEC to exempt small direct TV dishes and the CMP said no, the potential is there regardless of the sze.

Ok, but now I have one last question. Is it within the code to bond the antenna mast to an available equipment grounding conductor that is available in a nearby junction box. The EGC would be #12 AWG.
I fear the answer.

Thanks again.
Le

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is it within the code to bond the antenna mast to an available equipment grounding conductor that is available in a nearby junction box?

Absolutely not.

-Hal

Okay

Okay

I figured that was the answer (really, I did) but the $ people at the university wanted a second and even third opinion. It is a different world at a university. Always have the money to do it incorrectly and the money to redo it but never the money to do it right the first time.

Thanks to you all for your support.
Le

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
810.1 Scope. This article covers antenna systems for radio
and television receiving equipment, amateur radio transmitting
and receiving equipment, and certain features of transmitter
safety.

In what world does wireless ethernet meet this defintiion?

It is not radio and television receiving equipment, nor is it amateur radio transmitting and receiving equipment.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
petersonra said:
In what world does wireless ethernet meet this defintiion?

It is not radio and television receiving equipment, nor is it amateur radio transmitting and receiving equipment.

Is wireless ethernet radio? yes or no?
If yes then art 810 applies.

The intent of Art 810 is to protect antennas and the connected equipment from lightning. An antenna is an antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.