Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

If you know that a general contractor is going to do a remodle where a service upgrade is required but the upgrade will not be done, what would you do?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Ethics

Depends, I assume I would be involved with the project. If by "required" you mean that by code the service must be upgraded and the GC refuses, make it clear in your permit and to the AHJ specifically what work you are doing and that they refuse to do the service.

-Hal

celtic

I don't think I could be a part of the remodel.

How is the HO going to respond when none of the outlets work?
I would keep it real simple for the GC to understand:

The panel has 12 slots in it, we now need 25. No body makes a "triple" CB.
Adding the additional CBs also requires more juice from the utili.co. - we have to up the service.

I can not, and will not, deliver an incomplete project to a customer. If you want to, that's fine - get another EC. I take pride in my installations, if are just interested in cutting corners to make up for an error in your bid I cannot help you.

This project has disaster written all over it.

physis

I'm strongly considering declining.

It's going to violate 220.

When the main breakers start popping you know it's going to be the behind that belongs to whoever does this.

This project has disaster written all over it.
No, it has "unscrupulous contractor" written all over it. And I know his prices too. Shameful.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I'm curious, Sam. Just how much, in percent, is the calculated load over the service capacity? . . .I'm not fishing for details (unless this is a 30 Amp 120 Volt service which my jurisdiction defines as overloaded).

physis

This has been on the table from the beginning. Any competent electrical professional would see it. It's not a matter of confrontation. It's a matter of math, facts and code.

It's close Al. I don't have all the equipment specs and it's already over. No matter how you slice it.

allenwayne

We ahd a builder want to get a bid on a addition and a total rewire but only wanted to pull a service upgrade permit, :D

al hildenbrand

Occupation

Boy,

When it's close. . .I start looking at life style, number of occupants, the owner value attached to the watt-hogs. Sometimes, all that is necessary is to switch one range to gas.

physis

There's some big loads going in, getting a smaller toaster wont help. Smaller range, cooktop and dryer maybe, but that's kind of part of the idea of the project.

I know what you mean Al. I've already tried to squeeze it in.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

I can fill my Mercury's trunk with gravel, but it won't make the vehicle into a hauling truck, and it sure won't be safe on the highway. . .

It's real hard to watch people take good, clear information and then do stupid things inspite of it.

And then there is the case where my explaining, how the service can't handle the load connected to it, results in the (prospective) client becoming enraged at me for manipulating them. :( :eek:

[ April 27, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: al hildenbrand ]

lady sparks lover

Don't do it, because the GC will find a way to blame you if it fries the wires or keeps tripping, and the HO will find a way to blame you. They'll come back with a lawsuit. You can always say, it wasn't advised to me, but I don't think I would. I would just do the right thing and either make it clear to the HO or not take the job!!

I had that happen, I requested 2 transformers on a drawing, and the electrical contractor decided that they would use one (trying to save money and figure it would work with one), but fed both loads from one, and the transformer blew up and caused a fire. Well needless to say, they were fired, and probably will never work again.

If it needs a new service, give it to them...what's the cost of safety? Priceless! :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by physis:
If you know that a general contractor is going to do a remodle where a service upgrade is required but the upgrade will not be done, what would you do?
The best answer is to not bid on the job. There are plenty of jobs to bid on where you have less chance of ending up in an expensive court battle a few years down the road.

besides, do you really want to have your good name associated with something likely to generate some bad publicity down the road?

It's not worth it.

physis

I just e-mailed the GC. I'm not taking it.

It'll be a little while before I get the call to upgrade the service. :D

[ April 29, 2005, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

By Lady:

I would just do the right thing and either make it clear to the HO or not take the job!!
This is one of the problems I'm having. Deciding weheter or not to take the job is easy. I feel like someone should bring the property owner up to speed on this. But then I don't want to rat out the contractor. Well, I kinda don't. I kinda do too.

physis

I'm not into anybody getting theirs. It just bothers me that this is gonna be a hack job. These people have saved their money to do this improvement.

I'm not trying to be all atruistic, it just bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.