Eufer ground requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a building permit is taken out in 2004 and the foundation and footing are install in 2004 and the building is underconstruction in 2004.
Do I have to install a Eufer ground because I came on the job in 2005 and took out the electrical permit 2005 that is when the Eufer ground became required in MA.
The electrical inspector is making us chip out the footing , expose the rebar and make the connection, that just seems to be a bit excessive considering the footings etc were installed before the requirement.
I personnally don't believe there is a great safty issue if this Eufer ground is not in place...

thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Eufer ground requirement

I had a similar predicament on my project on Thursday. The contractor dug foundations for a dozen sixplexes in 2003, and has been slowly building them since.

The inspector asked where my Ufer connection was, and I explained the problem (ie pointed out the window at all the orange-fenced holes around the neighborhood). He checked his paperwork, and saw the inspection for the foundation, dated 2003.

IMO, if a foundation existed prior to the electrical permit being pulled, and there's documented evidence of that, you should fight the call.

MA probably has more explicit wording in the Mass. Elec. Code to either confirm or deny my opinion in your state. :)

iwire

Staff member

George I agree with you entirely. :)

As far as MA goes yeah we have some strict interpretations of the NEC rules in regards to concrete encased electrodes.

Even still if as you say the foundations existed before the rule it should pass no problem IMO.

electricmanscott

I agree with the other guys. It seems unfair to enforce a rule that did not exist at the time. i hope the inspector will see the error in his ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.