European 220v outlet kitchen install

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
1440 va or less?

If the appliance (blender/toaster) is more than 1440 va (6 ampish) would it be permitted?

Yes, and the toaster might be but that's an awful big blender.

I don't really care either way, just pointing out a code rule many are unaware of. :)

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Yes and no. Most European voltages are 230/415 (at least what I have dealt with). Not sure if the appliance(s) will be able to operate properly using the L-L (black-white) 240V.

???

What does the appliance care if one of the power leads is connected to earth (Grounded conductor)? And if it did, using a step down transformer would not give this (grounded conductor) anyway!

230 to 240 is less than 5% variation on voltage. Running the appliance on our standard 120/240 service would mean no wire in the appliance (mains connected wire) would be over 120 Volts to the case ground, unlike the European version with a lead 230 Volts to case ground.

growler

They told me the appliance's that they have is a blender and a small toaster oven.

Which makes it very likely an NEC violation for you to install an 240 outlet in this home for those appliances.

Whick makes me think that when people want something like this is it really worth all the trouble.

Do they really make better blenders and toaster ovens in other parts of the world? When you think of the trouble and cost to install something like this you know the people must have more money than brains.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Do they really make better blenders and toaster ovens in other parts of the world? When you think of the trouble and cost to install something like this you know the people must have more money than brains.

More than likely the same manufacturer makes the same product for sale in the US. In the case of a blender and toaster oven it has to be less expensive to just buy new than to do what you are suggesting.

Part of being a professional is knowing when to tell the customer no.

-Hal

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Whick makes me think that when people want something like this is it really worth all the trouble.

They can give you more power. For example the double wides (4 slots) are limited to about 1,500 -1,800 watts here in the US (900 watts max per section) while the EU version can go to 3000 watts or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.