European appliances - is Neutral bonded to appliance chassis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Therefore, if we introduce a bonded Neutral on a generator chassis might it introduce a "surprise volt and power potential" between earth and generator chassis?
You stated your directly powering equipment, they just plug whatever they need powered into the generator with an adapter, not back-feeding a Ukranian electrical panel that's different. Ill agree with drcambell on this one we don't have enough details about your situation.
PS: We have to pay for the shipping...we're using ocean, so it will be several weeks. If those 747's have room for civilian, humanitarian aid, maybe we should check into it!
If your really donating generators to Ukraine get in touch with USAID or your nearest US embassy / Dept of state.

Brian Martin

Occupation
Generators - Standby Cogen Trigen
From what we have learned so far, it seems typical in Europe that the neutral is floating (not bonded to earth).
(Please post a message if you learn otherwise)

Therefore, it seems certain loads in Europe which can accept 60HZ could be powered by unmodified 240V USA-type portable 240V generators, with some level of safety for human life. (Some can accept 60HZ, and some cannot)

However, I assume there is some risk!?
If the neutral is almost never bonded to earth in the rural areas, maybe they routinely, unknowingly have short circuits to chassis of tools or appliances and short circuits to earth…but the humans would not know this because the ground path via the soil to the substation many kilometers away has far too much resistance, so no real current flows. So, I assume the standard USA-type small generator with the usual 120V potential to its chassis could introduce a “surprise” (sometime dangerous!?) potential if they unwittingly have a load nearby with a 230V wire with a leak to chassis and earth.
(I think electrical panels equipped with RCD Residual Current Device, which likely are common in Europe, would detect such leaks to earth…but in some areas, I assume maybe some panels do not have an RCD? Hence, appliances normally powered by such panels could potentially have an unknown leak to earth?? and if powered by a nearby USA-type generator, a 120V potential to the generator chassis could suddenly be present...!?)

NOTE: Attached are drawings for two 2200-3000Watt gasoline generators built for the European market

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram 2200W gen 230V 50HZ.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Wiring Diagram 3000W gen 230V 50HZ.pdf
    516.2 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.