European lighting???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahilliard

I have a customer with 220V florescent under cabinet lighting installed in a very high end kitchen. Within weeks of install 3 of the 4 fixtures are not working. Bulbs are order only and have not been replaced yet but seems odd to me that so many would go out and 1 is still fine. My first question would be how the fixtures would be affected by the difference of 50hz to 60hz. Any input is appreciated.

I have a customer with 220V florescent under cabinet lighting installed in a very high end kitchen. Within weeks of install 3 of the 4 fixtures are not working. Bulbs are order only and have not been replaced yet but seems odd to me that so many would go out and 1 is still fine. My first question would be how the fixtures would be affected by the difference of 50hz to 60hz. Any input is appreciated.

not just the Hz check L:L and L:N voltage requirements on the ballast

broadgage

I would expect European 220/230 volt 50 cycle flourescent lights to work on a USA 240 volt 60 cycle supply.

An electronic ballast wont know the difference, and a magnetic one will have a higher impedance at the higher frequency, and therefore under run the lamp.
Might be inferior lamps or fixtures, high end kitchen does not mean high end light fittings!

Probably best to replace the fixtures with USA standard ones, to ensure ready availability of spares.

Does this installation comply with the NEC ?
I thought residential lighting was limited to 120 volts, or perhaps is not residential?

iwire

Staff member
Does this installation comply with the NEC ?

Gotta love a guy from England that knows the NEC so well. :cool:

NEC 210.6(A) prohibits supplying 'Luminaires' in dwelling units, guest rooms, guest suites, hotels, motels or similar occupancies with more then 120 VAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.