hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have Volta Gen4 L2 Station below:

1626045475195.png

However the drawings also indicate Ebox professional below:

1626045555390.png
1626045565818.png

I am being told that Ebox professional is in Volta enclosure and these are one charger. I was wondering if anyone came across the above two items. The cable size to them depend since Ebox says 50A while Volta calls for 48A. I failed to see how these are the one charger since they have different 50A and 48A input power. However to that I was told that Ebox can be "programmed" from 50A to 48A. I am skeptical and have the following questions:

1. Are the above two separate EV chargers or one can be in another? Typically

2. Can Ebox be programmed? Has anyone come across this? Typically

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am being told that Ebox professional is in Volta enclosure and these are one charger. I was wondering if anyone came across the above two items. The cable size to them depend since Ebox says 50A while Volta calls for 48A. I failed to see how these are the one charger since they have different 50A and 48A input power. However to that I was told that Ebox can be "programmed" from 50A to 48A. I am skeptical and have the following questions:

1. Are the above two separate EV chargers or one can be in another? Typically

2. Can Ebox be programmed? Has anyone come across this? Typically
Not sure there is a good reason to even care about 2 amps.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Tell client to buy something else, or call back when OEM finishes programming for 48Amps, certified with new 48Amp listing to pass AHJ inspections.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Tell client to buy something else, or call back when OEM finishes programming for 48Amps, certified with new 48Amp listing to pass AHJ inspections.

I don’t follow OEM finishes programming and certifies with new 48A? What is that and Is that doable at plans review stage can you futher clarify? Is it in NEC 2017?

ramsy

Occupation
I don’t follow OEM finishes programming and certifies with new 48A? What is that and Is that doable at plans review stage can you futher clarify? Is it in NEC 2017?
Tesla's can control max charge from the vehicle (programming), set to 24A with 30A clothes-dryer outlets, but I don't believe that is acceptable at plan review.

Tesla Model 3 can accept 48A, up from 32A in prior models, and nothing prevents the next model from accepting 56A.

WA_Sparky

Electrical Engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
625.41 Overcurrent protection:
A continuous load is defined by a load that is expected to be running for 3 hours or more, correct?
The new level 3 EV chargers can charge in under 40 minutes. Do you think this could call for a code change to only apply to level 1 & 2 chargers?

ramsy

Occupation
AHJ might accept proposal at plan review, if new level 3 EV charger was installed in a single family home with 1 or 2 car garage, and home owner was not offering the vehicle-charging service to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.