EV chargers & residential load calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

retirede

Permit required to “install” a level 1 EVSE?
It’s no different than plugging in a power tool.

And the locations shown are ridiculous. Most EVs have the charge port on the front left. The cable would need to be run under the car or draped over the hood to plug it in. Unless you back the car in the garage.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
125% shouldn't be a surprise because it's a continuous load. But I wonder how they'd react if you apply the 220.83 method.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
This whole business of how to apply EV charging equipment to service calcs seems to be an issue and the NEC is not very clear on this. And since most of these are being installed in existing homes this further complicates things. Also, I'm staring to see situations where 1 level 2 charger is not an issue from a practical standpoint in most cases if it is an 200 existing service. But now the customer says let's add a second charger, now we need to get serious about calcs and I'm not sure the code is giving clear enough requirements for this.
In my case I'm doing a service upgrade due to an addition/renovation and thinking of making provisions in capacity for 2 level 2 chargers for future use. Depending on the calc method in my case it could mean a 200 amp service or something above 200 which my POCO will penalize me greatly for.

Status
Not open for further replies.