EV charging

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

sparklet569

I recently installed a 14-50 recep. for a nissan leaf. In haste to try it out owner plugged in as i was splicing in the ground, wasnt worried until i got a good DC voltage
shock. After connection was complete, it worked fine, but is this a backfeed from the inverter or onboard charger from the EV??

retirede

I recently installed a 14-50 recep. for a nissan leaf. In haste to try it out owner plugged in as i was splicing in the ground, wasnt worried until i got a good DC voltage
shock. After connection was complete, it worked fine, but is this a backfeed from the inverter or onboard charger from the EV??

So you had the circuit energized before you completed the wiring……maybe it’s just the electrical gods trying to teach a lesson.

There’s no way you should have gotten a shock from the EGC. Ground detection current should be below GFCI trip threshold. Is the circuit on a GFCI breaker? What code cycle? What brand of EVSE?

Ravenvalor

Probably a ground-confirmation current.

You should have had the breaker locked off.
I just checked for a ground-confirmation current on a 2023 Leaf. Did not read any voltage on my voltage meter. I tried AC and DC.
Do you know what year model that Leaf is?

Could it be the power cord was conducting the ground confirmation current test?