EVSE and GFCI PROTECTION

brycenesbitt

I just don't see how car manufacturers can have a hard time with a car tripping a GFCI, but in a way I can becasue I have always had problems with electrical leaks in trucks. I remember when I had to put a huge kill switch on a the - terminal of friends old dodge pickup becasue nobody could figure out what was draining the battery.
@tortuga The issue appears to be the large AC to DC conversion circuits. This is the same issue with range hoods, fans, HVAC compressors. As these go to DC motors and circuits for controls, this introduces small switching noises. These are harmless from a safety point of view, but trip up the dumb GFCIs.
--
The EVSE is just a relay, so not really involved in the electronics. However EVSE performs a ground continuity check that can also trip an upstream GFCI.

brycenesbitt

Here's what Mike Holt had to say about EVSC GFCI:
---------
Point 1. My revised text is to ensure that none of the rules contained in 210.8 apply EVSE and that this CMP decides what GFCI protection should be provided. Just like the RV Park rule
Point 2. I think you guys (includes the ladies) are shooting yourselves in the foot with the change in the first draft for the following reasons: 1. EV charging manufacture instructions often specify to NOT provide GFCI protectio
2. GFCI's are not available for over 150V-to-ground systems. So this rule cannot be complied with for EV charges operating at 277/480V circuit
3. The rule will also require three-phase GFCIs, now you are talking big bucks.
4. The cost for a 100A 120/240V GFCI is a fortune... like over a thousand dollars. Remember you can't get a GFCI for a 277/480V circuit.
Related Item
Submitter Information Verification
Submitter Full Name:Mike Holt
Organization:Mike Holt Enterprises Inc
Street Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Submittal Date:Tue Jul 16 18:17:57 EDT 2024
Committee:NEC-P12