Exhaust fan in elevator machine room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Does the exhaust fan in an elevator machine room need to be on Backup power.

Facility is 4 story Cancer Treatment center. We have an Emergency generator that is only there for emergency lighting. Elevator inspector suggested battery backup to give the fan 90 minutes of backup power. Putting in a UPS to this end would be a new one for me. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

mauk

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does the exhaust fan in an elevator machine room need to be on Backup power.

Facility is 4 story Cancer Treatment center. We have an Emergency generator that is only there for emergency lighting. Elevator inspector suggested battery backup to give the fan 90 minutes of backup power. Putting in a UPS to this end would be a new one for me. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
In NYS we only need to do this is if the elevators are connected to the standby power system.

Seems odd to require ventilation if the elevators won't be operating (after the battery lowering)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In NYS we only need to do this is if the elevators are connected to the standby power system.

Seems odd to require ventilation if the elevators won't be operating (after the battery lowering)
Possibly the idea is that the exhaust fan in the machine room would serve to remove smoke or keep it from entering the elevator shaft from the machine room?

mshields

responses on Elevator Machine Room

responses on Elevator Machine Room

IBC is in line with NYS requirements. We have to deal with the Mass Energy Code which is a series of ammendments to ASME A17.1 1996. The applicable section of the (Mass Elevator Code 524 CMR) would seem to indicate that the requirement is the same as NYS and the same as Chapter 30 of the IBC. Yet because I do not have ASME A17.1 1996 I don't know for sure. I need to know what the following paragraghs say: 2.27.2.1 thru 2.27.2.5

I'm betting that one of the bullets addresses ventilation being on generator. If that's true, that requirement is contingent on their being a generator.

So - a bit of a wild goose chase but if anyone can help, I'd certainly appreciate it.

topgone

Possibly the idea is that the exhaust fan in the machine room would serve to remove smoke or keep it from entering the elevator shaft from the machine room?

Loads related to pressurization of elevator shaft and machine room should be included in the emergency electric loads, IMO. Please check if your building code prescribes pressurization of hoistway/ shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.