exhaust fans in bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I am wondering if there is/are any nec requirements for exhaust fans in residential bathrooms. I can't find any. Maybe it is a building code requirement?
:smile: Yes, Welcome to the Forum.

There is one other important source of regulation, besides the Building Code that is in force in your area. The exhaust fan manufacturer's instructions, which generally go hand in hand with the UL White Book ( the "Guide Information for Electrical Equipment" ).

I find the White Book easier to understand.

In a nutshell, when the fan is over a tub or shower, the unit must have GFCI protection.

electricmanscott

:smile: Yes, Welcome to the Forum.

There is one other important source of regulation, besides the Building Code that is in force in your area. The exhaust fan manufacturer's instructions, which generally go hand in hand with the UL White Book ( the "Guide Information for Electrical Equipment" ).

I find the White Book easier to understand.

In a nutshell, when the fan is over a tub or shower, the unit must have GFCI protection.

But if a fan is not required none of that matters. I think that was what the OP was asking. :-?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
But if a fan is not required none of that matters. I think that was what the OP was asking. :-?
Of course, . . . no fan, no wiring. But, I took the Q as a little more open ended.

Since the NEC has no specific bath exhaust fan requirements, where do the requirements come from?

In my area there are even local city ordinance that governs ventilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.