existing bath remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

How does the ICC rule over GFI outlet for a bath remodel? I'm leaving in the existing 15A for lighting/fan. Do I have the choice to tap existing light circuit, or must I install a 20A dedicated circuit?

Thanks;
HR

raider1

Staff member
If you are talking about the IRC electrical section published by ICC then the GFCI rules are the same as in the NEC in regards to dwelling units. Which year IRC are you dealing with?

Chris

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How does the ICC rule over GFI outlet for a bath remodel? I'm leaving in the existing 15A for lighting/fan. Do I have the choice to tap existing light circuit, or must I install a 20A dedicated circuit?

Thanks;
HR

It is unclear what you wish to tap, are you suggesting using the existing 15 amp circuit for a bathroom recpt.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Since I am not aware of an ICC Electrical Code I'll use the NEC.

New receptacle will required a 20 AMP circuit. You may leave the lights on the old circuit or you may add them to the new circuit. If you add them to the new circuit you may or may not have to GFCI protect the light or fan depending on the location and style of each.

fisherelectric

If it is not possible to run a new circuit from the service to the bath being remodeled without cutting up walls and ceilings in a finished house, your AHJ may not require that you do it. I usually ask the homeowner if they are having problems with blow dryers before making that decision because of the expense it may involve, from me and from patching and painting.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Thanks;
HR

If you're in NJ then the rehab code would likely allow you to leave the existing 15 amp circuit and use it for the new receptacle too.

howardrichman

If you're in NJ then the rehab code would likely allow you to leave the existing 15 amp circuit and use it for the new receptacle too.

Thanks for reply; I'm using a 12-2 cable finding a circuit in the basement that can be extended to the panel if needed or required.

HR...

hotwire1955

Rehab code in NJ is like for like, installing a new receptacle where there wasn't one does not allow you to use the existing circuit for the receptacle.

The NEC mandates GFCIs for 110V, 15A or 20A single phase outlets, in bathrooms, kitchen counters within 6' of the sink, wet-bar sinks, roof outlets, garages, unfinished basements outdoors, or near a pool.The NEC now requires that if your replace an outlet in a location now requiring GFCI, you must install GFCI protection. I guess this is how ICC rule over bathroom remodel. In U.S the GFCI outlets can cost as little as US$8.

Status
Not open for further replies.