Existing pool bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

I did a service change MSP is maybe 4 feet from pool, inspector was there for a HR trying to find a code reference why my MSP can't be near pool, he finally got a hold of his supervisor he also was at a lost , they came up with I have to bond pool, there is so much things to bond on a pool, and after watching Mike holt video on you tube I'm thinking it's better to just leave pool like it is, the metal handrails to help you get out of pool are not bonded I'm getting no continuity from service ground to Metal handrail, I never had to bond a pool for a service change there is no code saying I can't be near pool I have the working space, would it be wise to tell the AHJ I'm not bonding pool

iwire

Staff member
Is it 5 ft horizontal, or 5 ft vertical

Horizontal

680.26(B)(7) Fixed Metal Parts. All fixed metal parts shall be bonded
including, but not limited to, metal-sheathed cables and raceways,
metal piping, metal awnings, metal fences, and metal
door and window frames.

Exception No. 1: Those separated from the pool by a
permanent barrier that prevents contact by a person shall
not be required to be bonded.

Exception No. 2: Those greater than 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally
of the inside walls of the pool shall not be required to
be bonded.

Exception No. 3: Those greater than 3.7 m (12 ft) measured
vertically above the maximum water level of the pool,
or as measured vertically above any observation stands,
towers, or platforms, or any diving structures, shall not be
required to be bonded.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I did a service change MSP is maybe 4 feet from pool, inspector was there for a HR trying to find a code reference why my MSP can't be near pool, he finally got a hold of his supervisor he also was at a lost , they came up with I have to bond pool, there is so much things to bond on a pool, and after watching Mike holt video on you tube I'm thinking it's better to just leave pool like it is, the metal handrails to help you get out of pool are not bonded I'm getting no continuity from service ground to Metal handrail, I never had to bond a pool for a service change there is no code saying I can't be near pool I have the working space, would it be wise to tell the AHJ I'm not bonding pool

Wait a minute. If you said the handrail is not bonded, how can you be sure the remainder of the pool is bonded to allow bonding of your panel?

A bonding test may be in your best interest to CYA and protect the homeowner.

We've found stray bond wires on pool renos and never rely on them. Besides, the moment we tear up a patio we have to conform to the current code for bonding. Sometimes the inspector wants a written, certified document showing the pool has been tested and approved for bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.