Existing residential pool bond certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Dog

Members,

Does anybody know about testing and certifying the pool bonding of an existing residential Inground pool if you are replacing the existing paver deck. Is this a code requirement? The pool is a free formed rebar and concrete in ground pool where it is impossible to expose any of the existing connections due to them being covered in concrete. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sea dog

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
New Jersey requires commercial pools to be certified every 5 years. Is this a residential pool?

Sea Dog

Rob, It is a existing residential pool. I am a electrical contractor in North Jersey and I get several jobs from a paver installer who install new pavers around existing pools. When he redoes the pool decks there is a township that requires him to have the bonding system certified even though he is not touching any part of the system. Instead of having the existing system certified he has me install a new system therefore not requiring certification just an inspection from the town. I have come across a concrete pool where I cannot install a new system due to everything being encased in concrete. I can see the existing system just not the connections.
My question is that I was not aware of any code requiring certification of the bonding system on a existing residential pool and what is the testing procedure and requirements to have this done. This contractor is very professional more than happy to pay me to install a system but it is just impossible for me to do.

Thanks

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like the town is requiring something beyond the scope of what they're permitted to ask for on a residential pool. A call to the DCA might be warranted to see if they can actually require this.

Status
Not open for further replies.