Exit Sign -- Catching Fire?

ron

Senior Member
I don't but the concept seems real considering what is happening with poor ventilation and batteries overheating in the hoverboards.

I realize the hoverboards are Lion and the exit sing is probably lead acid, but both can go into thermal runaway.
 

mgookin

Senior Member
Location
Fort Myers, FL
Does anyone know of an instance of a plastic-cased, LED exit sign with battery backup failing and catching fire?

Thanks
I've seen plenty of melted ones from back in the day when I would get all the fire reports and go out and do inspections but I've never heard of nor seen one where it was the cause & origin of the fire.

Just curious: Is this an exit sign/ emergency light combo? Or just an exit sign?
Picture(s)?
 

fmtjfw

Senior Member
I've seen plenty of melted ones from back in the day when I would get all the fire reports and go out and do inspections but I've never heard of nor seen one where it was the cause & origin of the fire.

Just curious: Is this an exit sign/ emergency light combo? Or just an exit sign?
Picture(s)?
Just a simple exit sign: 120-277VAC input, small battery, LEDs, no provision for supplying emergency lighting heads, no built-in emergency lighting heads.

I'll see if I can get a picture or two.

Report suggests it was the source of ignition. I'm trying to figure out if a failure internal to the sign itself (rather than a wiring problem of the 120VAC supply) could have developed sufficient heat to be the source.
 

mgookin

Senior Member
Location
Fort Myers, FL
Wow
INCIDENTS/INJURIES: There have been 19 reports of these emergency exit signs overheating and smoking or causing melted or damaged enclosures. No injuries have been reported.

Just a simple exit sign: 120-277VAC input, small battery, LEDs, no provision for supplying emergency lighting heads, no built-in emergency lighting heads.
I'll see if I can get a picture or two.

Report suggests it was the source of ignition. I'm trying to figure out if a failure internal to the sign itself (rather than a wiring problem of the 120VAC supply) could have developed sufficient heat to be the source.



Did the fire dept remove it? Or are (were) you able to see the connection? And can you still measure line voltage on the circuit at the j-box?
 

fmtjfw

Senior Member
Puzzling and ironic

Puzzling and ironic

I saw the installation prior to the fire. Fixture below drop ceiling, 1/2 EMT to junction box above ceiling, BX to box.
I'm trying to find out if there was an after fire picture taken. I was told the sign was melted. I don't know if I can get access to the property.

This fixture installation doesn't fit the 277V input from the recall.

I would guess the only difference in 277/120 would be the primary lead used to the transformer.

The damage was first estimated at $80,000 and now "total loss", large 3 story house/dorm. Fortunately, undergoing renovation and not occupied!
 

fmtjfw

Senior Member
Exit sign, junction box, and conduit have been removed for investigation.

This building is part of a two building (2 feet apart) correctional half-way house. The other building was occupied. One of the people in the other building was notified that they were leaving the half-way house and being sent back to a more rigid confinement. It is possible that this was a act of arson.

More later.

Thanks for all you ideas.
 

fmtjfw

Senior Member
Final report

Final report

One investigator said the fire origin was in an in-wall box. Second investigator disagreed since the box contained a 24V pull station powered from a limited power fire alarm circuit. They then went to the building next door (which also burned) (separated from this building by about 2 feet and both originally covered with vinyl siding). They found a fire origin at floor level opposide the wall - space - wall of the pull station, and evidence of accellerant. That building was a half-way house for prisoners on the way to being released. One of the girls had been notified that she had violated some rule and was being sent back to lockup. Our case closed.
 

gadfly56

Senior Member
Location
New Jersey
Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I don't but the concept seems real considering what is happening with poor ventilation and batteries overheating in the hoverboards.

I realize the hoverboards are Lion and the exit sing is probably lead acid, but both can go into thermal runaway.
The newer exit signs that are LED-only have Li-Ion batteries.
 

JFletcher

Senior Member
Location
Williamsburg, VA
One investigator said the fire origin was in an in-wall box. Second investigator disagreed since the box contained a 24V pull station powered from a limited power fire alarm circuit. They then went to the building next door (which also burned) (separated from this building by about 2 feet and both originally covered with vinyl siding). They found a fire origin at floor level opposide the wall - space - wall of the pull station, and evidence of accellerant. That building was a half-way house for prisoners on the way to being released. One of the girls had been notified that she had violated some rule and was being sent back to lockup. Our case closed.
thank you for the follow up. :thumbsup:
 
Top