Exothermic welding protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piramyd

Hi there friends !

I'm at Henderson Nevada

Regarding the spec home I'm working on, I 've a question regarding the protection
of an exothermic welding:
It include a #4 copper wire from a metal gas pipe (order by the inspector) +
a concrete encased #4 copper wire +
#4 copper wire to the main panel +
#4 copper wire from this welding to the pedestal meter on the sidewalk.

My point is: Should the four wire welding remain over the grade or can be encased directly in the concrete pad which is gonna be around the area of E. welding.?
In both cases if there needs to protect it, which are the way to do that.

Thank you in advance.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Your not going to protect the copper wire in the concrete are you? As long as the inspector sees it and is happy, let it go IMO.
Why weld it? Some crimps are rated for direct burial in earth or concrete.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't understand why you need a run to the meter pedestal.

NEC is happy with a GEC from main panel to CEE. The gas piping,if you need to run a conductor to it, can be a separate run to panel or can tap onto the GEC - doesn't need to be an irreversible connection.

The meter pedestal is a separate structure and should have it's own GES at the pedestal location.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
A concrete encased bare copper wire does not constitute a CEE. See 250.52(A)(3).

kwired said:
The meter pedestal is a separate structure and should have it's own GES at the pedestal location.

Perhaps the meter pedestal is so close to the building that they consider it a meter/disconnect on the side of the building?

Piramyd said:
My point is: Should the four wire welding remain over the grade or can be encased directly in the concrete pad which is gonna be around the area of E. welding.?

From what it sounds like, once it's inspected you can cover them or pour concrete. No need for any protection. They become part of the wire, you gonna protect that?

-Hal

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hi there friends !

I'm at Henderson Nevada

Regarding the spec home I'm working on, I 've a question regarding the protection
of an exothermic welding:
It include a #4 copper wire from a metal gas pipe (order by the inspector) +
a concrete encased #4 copper wire +
#4 copper wire to the main panel +
#4 copper wire from this welding to the pedestal meter on the sidewalk.

Thank you in advance.

no ground rod? whatever.
get two #4 wires. run from each point to another point,
getting them close to each other in the pour.

hypress or cadweld them to each other, in the pour.
both are equal.

get it inspected.

pour concrete over it.

kwired

Electron manager
A concrete encased bare copper wire does not constitute a CEE. See 250.52(A)(3).

Perhaps the meter pedestal is so close to the building that they consider it a meter/disconnect on the side of the building?
A concrete encased bare copper wire is a CEE if it is correct size and length to meet requirements (probably in the section you mentioned - I didn't double check)

If because of close proximity situation AHJ will consider it the main disconnect (service or feeder doesn't matter) for the building then that is where the GEC for the building needs to run to, any other panel inside the building is feeder supplied from this main disconnect and shouldn't have GEC's run to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.