exothermic welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse7623

Is there a specific requirement in San Diego County, CA in regards to exothermic welding versus the typical mechanical Bonding methods,or is the architect on my job out of his mind?

Jesse7623

I have a set of prints for a commercial space in San Diego County Ca...and in the general notes it says,"All bonding electrodes shall be exothermically welded."and in the service entrance notes it says,"all grounding electrodes shall be exothermically welded.Mechanical grounding methods not acceptable."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like someone doesn't like mechanical connections even though they my be permitted by the NEC.

Jesse7623

no honestly I never have but I hope it is understood that even though this is a little 2 story restaurant I still have about 450 4 square boxes to cadweld if the architect doesn't get control of his cerebrum.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
yeah this is a little deli though!

I once had a spec for a laundromat that said all conduit shall be minimum 3/4" and Threaded Rigid Galvanized. No EMT, MC or AC cable permitted. Sounds like a big waste of someones money. When I asked the business owner he said to use whatever is the cheapest and code compliant.

benaround

no honestly I never have but I hope it is understood that even though this is a little 2 story restaurant I still have about 450 4 square boxes to cadweld if the architect doesn't get control of his cerebrum.

Jesse, I don't think that spec. is for the branch circuit EGC's. Cadweld for the GEC is not

that uncommon, but there is only a dozen or so to do. I think you will find that the 450 4sq.

boxes will not require cadwelding.

Jesse7623

it gets worse

it gets worse

I'll talk to the architect see what he's really thinking.
The prints also require a 3/0 bonding jumper to the gas pipe which is totally above and beyond art 250....so as you might have detected by now there are some issues with the architect or his electrical engineer.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I'm thinking 'Ghostbusters'. While the Ghostbusters are in jail, they examine the blueprints of Dana Barrett's apartment building. Ray explains that the structure is "a huge, super-conductive antenna designed and built expressly for the purpose of pulling in and concentrating spiritual turbulence."

Seriously, talk to the architect, and find out what they really want and are thinking. If they really want IMC and everything welded, then don't complain that the work is harder than it needs to be....just charge them accordingly for the extra work and materials. Hell, maybe you can up-sell to all explosion-proof equipment :) More than likely the requirements that you are looking at only apply to a portion of the install.

-Jon

masterinbama

Jesse, I don't think that spec. is for the branch circuit EGC's. Cadweld for the GEC is not

that uncommon, but there is only a dozen or so to do. I think you will find that the 450 4sq.

boxes will not require cadwelding.

That would be my guess too. As far as cadwelding the main equipment grounds they make one-time molds and shots that work really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.