Experiments

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.

Well, not sure i trust any of these links.

I select "increase linear" but the answer says "correct, exponential" ???
Capture.png

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
In my physics classes it was called dielectric strength.

Which can be expressed in terms of a) ability to resist, or b) ability to conduct, with b=1/a
The nomenclature used sometimes gets scrambled with the words placed around it, and especially when the nomenclature changes to something like "electrical strength". It's just a measurement if dielectric property, nothing more. ;)

So, lighting a bulb is using power. Is it stealing? Dunno. I guess as long as you are not trespassing its not stealing power.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Which can be expressed in terms of a) ability to resist, or b) ability to conduct, with b=1/a
The nomenclature used sometimes gets scrambled with the words placed around it, and especially when the nomenclature changes to something like "electrical strength". It's just a measurement if dielectric property, nothing more.
Relative permittivity is a measure of capacitance of different materials and it is an index with a value of 1.000 for a vacuum, which has the lowest permittivity possible. The absolute permittivity of free space (a vacuum) is about 8.5 X 10^-12 Farads per meter. I admit I had to look it up, but when I was in school I had it memorized.

Dry air has a permittivity very close to that of a vacuum.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/relative-permittivity-d_1660.html

gar

Occupation
EE
190119-1400 EST

FionaZuppa:

Dielectric strength is a measure of where an insulating material breaks down destructively. Measured in volts per some unit of length. For many materials this is in the range of possibly 500 to 1500 volts per 0.001".

From the Internet
As with most materials, the AC dielectric strength in kV/mm decreases as the film thickness increases. For instance, 6 µm Mylar® film has a dielectric strength of over 600 kV/mm while 350µm Mylar® has a dielectric strength of about 80 kV/mm at 25°C.Apr 3, 2017
Note: 1 mm = about 40/1000". 1 micro meter about 40/1,000,000".

In general you can not continuously operate near the dielectric strength of a material and get good life of the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.