Exploding Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

quogueelectric

Well these are not exactly on target, but maybe interesting for people nothing better to do.

One of the army's technique to open a clear path in a minefield for a column of tanks is to shoot an exploding rope along the path. It's a coil of explosive material that flies out in a straigth line and explodes as it lands, detonating the field mines.

The second one, anecdotal, is exploding MV splices. It is said to happen when taping PILC cables. That is Paper Insulated Lead Covered. If there is moisture trapped during the long and ardourous process of taping it can turn into steam that in turn creates enough pressure to explode the splice or conehead. It could be an old splicer's tale though, heard it on the other side of the ocean first, but also heard it in the States.
I am a #1 splicer and I think this is an old splicers tale . I can ask my collegues with more splicing experience what they think. I do know from experience that propper placement of the beer is important. I have been told by numerous contractors that the ice can cool the splice down faster.

SAC

I am a #1 splicer and I think this is an old splicers tale . I can ask my collegues with more splicing experience what they think. I do know from experience that propper placement of the beer is important. I have been told by numerous contractors that the ice can cool the splice down faster.

On another "exploding splice" story, but in reverse, I've read that some HV transmission line splices are done with high explosives to "weld" the splice to the wire. The two ends of the wire are put into the splice "tube" and high explosives are detonated around the splice material to "implode" it and "weld" it to the HV wire:

http://tdworld.com/projects_in_progress/top_story/Northeast-Utilities-Implosion-Splice/

Status
Not open for further replies.