Explosion Proof Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

phsfrog

I am designing an EX container to hold a 12 volt battery and circuitry. This box will be cast aluminum with two compartments 3/8" thick. What is the standard for the lid of the container. I have heard mixed opinions. One is bolts every 1.5 around the perimiter of the lid. I am aware that I have to vent the hydrogen any ideas?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
phsfrog said:
I am designing an EX container to hold a 12 volt battery and circuitry. This box will be cast aluminum with two compartments 3/8" thick. What is the standard for the lid of the container. I have heard mixed opinions. One is bolts every 1.5 around the perimiter of the lid. I am aware that I have to vent the hydrogen any ideas?

If you do not already know the answer to this question, it is a bit scary that you are designing such a thing.

Normally, one would vent such an enclosure with a drain/vent fitting. It is not a problem for whatever H2 is generated to leave the box, as long as no flames leave the box when it ignites.

This is not really a component design forum.

Best bet is if you do not know enough already to design such a box, is to just purchase one.

Status
Not open for further replies.