Explosion Proof Device in a Class I Division II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstpie5

I thought for sure I had read a scenario similar to the one I am about to present somewhere on this site, but I haven't been able to find it so I am going to pose the question (again possibly).

Assume one was to install an explosionproof instrument (no other ratings, not factory sealed or anything else, just explosionproof) run in conduit in a Class 1 Div. 2 area without a conduit seal at the instrument.

Is the installation still acceptable for a class 1 div. 2 location?

I feel that it is obvious that it would not be explosionproof anymore - but what is it now?

I say, without the seal, it is not good enough to install in a class 1 division 2. Without a seal at the entrance of the instrument, an explosion can no longer be confined to the instrument and may propagate through the conduit system causing issues elsewhere.

Your thoughts?

You are correct - without the necessary seal(s), it is no longer explosion-proof, and not suitable. It would be rated for exactly nothing.

You can always put Div 1 equipment in Div 2 locations - but you always have to follow all of their conditions of installation as well.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I thought for sure I had read a scenario similar to the one I am about to present somewhere on this site, but I haven't been able to find it so I am going to pose the question (again possibly).

Assume one was to install an explosionproof instrument (no other ratings, not factory sealed or anything else, just explosionproof) run in conduit in a Class 1 Div. 2 area without a conduit seal at the instrument.

Is the installation still acceptable for a class 1 div. 2 location?

I feel that it is obvious that it would not be explosionproof anymore - but what is it now?

I say, without the seal, it is not good enough to install in a class 1 division 2. Without a seal at the entrance of the instrument, an explosion can no longer be confined to the instrument and may propagate through the conduit system causing issues elsewhere.

Your thoughts?

JMHO.

The box is still XP.

If there is something inside the box that would require it be in an XP box in a div 2 area than it needs a seal. If nothing in the XP box requires that it be in an XP box in a div 2 area, no box seal is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.