Explosion Proof LED Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

kim_trth

The LED light EPL-LP-24-LED is either pendant or surface mount. Is it code violated if a plug and receptacle are installed to allow string multiple lights together for portalbe use?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What do you mean by string them together? If it is portable then the NEC does not get involved but if this is a listed fixture and does not come with a cord and plug then my guess is you cannot use cord and plug and mount the units in any permanent way. How would you maintain the explosion proof status with cord and plug?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What do you mean by string them together? If it is portable then the NEC does not get involved but if this is a listed fixture and does not come with a cord and plug then my guess is you cannot use cord and plug and mount the units in any permanent way. How would you maintain the explosion proof status with cord and plug?

Explosion proof receptacles and plugs?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Actually the NEC does deal with portable luminaires. See Section 501.130(B)(4). Cords and such are dealt with in Section 501.140.

Ultimately, everything will need to be rated for Division 1.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Assuming they are only using them in that area... also very expensive

Very true. Also, I'm wondering why someone needs what sounds like portable work lights for a rated area. I'm not sure I want to be doing construction or renovation in any space that might be classified. If you can get a hot work permit approved, you shouldn't need XP temporary lighting. Sounds like a good way to make the front page and the obit section at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.