"EXPLOSION ROCKS RIO DELL" - Battery storage in Conex box

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One mode of failure in some lithium cells that are kept constantly at it near 100% charge is the formation of lithium metal dendrites extending from the lithium electrode. These can pierce the separator between electrodes and short out the cell.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Mystery solved, and no surprise to me, it was lead acid. (You guys casting aspersions on LiFePO can stop, and especially with the false associations with lithium NMC chemistry in the cars and bus).

Local TV station posted a new shot, and it's zoomable.

In my attached snapshot you can make out it says 'Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery' and also the units strongly resemble these.

From the fact they had an explosion but no subsequent engulfing fire one could almost rule out lithium thermal runaway in favor of a hydrogen explosion from poor lead acid ventilation.

Attachments

• Narada lead acid.PNG
    Narada lead acid.PNG
    408.2 KB · Views: 13

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
VRLA batteries can be either AGM or Gel construction, with the AGM generally capable of higher charge rates. Neither one will vent hydrogen uness the charge control system has failed. In normal operation the hydrogen and oxygen pressure inside each cell will be kept below the valve release pressure by controlled recombination.
It is still advisable to provide ventilation capable of handling a possible charging system failure. But a faulty installation that blocked normal ventilation would not cause any noticeable problems until the failure occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.