Exposed NM cable in kitchen cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I used Smurf tube once to protect thermostat wires to a compressor that kept getting eaten by the weed-whacker, but that's the only time I've used it outdoors.

Mark

macmikeman

362-12 (9) Electrical non metallic conduit cannot be used where exposed to direct rays of sunlight unless specifically listed for that useage.
(10) cannot be used where subject to physical damage.

Pretty much kills the use of smurf for connecting ac compressors at ground level outside where the sun's rays can reach.

220/221

Like much of the NEC, that whole "subject to physical damage" thing is open to interpetation.

Just to be safe, we always sleeve it in AL flex or use MC. Someone might jam a bunch of stuff in the cabinet and do some damage. Up behind the drawers is sometimes a different situation.

eprice

Where do I find approval for the technique of slipping on flex, and only attaching it at one end? Or are you saying the approval of the install and permit means that the methods employed at that install are "approved means"?

According to Article 100 "Approved" means acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction. In our jurisdiction, we generally consider NM cable within a cabinet that is within reach of sharp objects that may be poking out a drawer when it gets closed, subject to physical damage. We also have considered smurf tube or wire molding to be "approved means" for protecting the NM from damage in that situation if it is installed to adequately cover the NM cable. This is one of those subjects covered by the NEC where judgment of the particular situation by the inspector on the scene is unavoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.