Exposed Telephone wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurence

I am in DC and am trying to help someone who has exposed telephone wires, placed by Verizon, laying on the ground in their backyard. I am trying to find a code or industry standard that says this practice is wrong. Any guidance.
I appreciate any help. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Run over it with the lawn mower a few times. They will eventually get tired of coming out and fixing it and will install it properly. All kidding aside, who said that this is the way they Telco typically installs cable?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
There's nothing in the Code that applies.

There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution.

I've seen several of these over the years. . .one that I can think of was that way for eight years. The TelCo had to do a lot of work in a lot of inaccessible back yards to "do it right".

Try contacting the Public Utilities Commission, if you have such an entity in your area.

And, I think Trevor's on to something with the lawn mower idea. :D

kthbrwn

I have seen Verizon do this in our community. It gets done to provide a temporary hook-up, till the other utilities can do their locate for underground lines. Perhaps this work order got lost in the shuffle?

jeff43222

My next-door neighbor recently had his satellite TV dish upgraded so he could get digital service, and the installer laid the cables in the grass from the side of the house to the detached garage in the alley, where the new dish was installed. The installer told my neighbor he would have to bury the cables himself.

I'm going to be wiring up a new detached garage in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll try that approach with the homeowner... :D

NoVA Comms Power

jeff43222 said:
... My next-door neighbor recently had his satellite TV dish upgraded ... the installer laid the cables in the grass from the side of the house to the detached garage in the alley ... installer told my neighbor he would have to bury the cables himself ...
Let me guess ... that same installer told you neighbor that the new dish itself didn't need to be grounded (or that the coax shielding took care of that requirement), and that your neighbor didn't need an antenna discharge unit (a.k.a. ground block) near where the cables enter the main house either ... ???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.