exsiting ground ques ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

a store in a shopping mall is being remolded the service is a three phase 208/120 volt 1000 amp located in the main service room. the 1000 amp breaker is feeding a sub panel with parallel runs of750al tw wire in two runs of 4in thin wall conduit.the mall was built in1974 and there is no grounding conductor run with the other wires the emt pipe is used as the grounding means.the new print calls for a 4/0 wire to be pulled in with the conductors in each pipe lots of luck I don't think you can use 2 new separate pipes to pull in the grounding conductors back to the service because they are not part of the cable assembly there is nothing wrong with the way it is but the print calls for that 4/0 wire to be added ques? would the architect have to make a change order to omit this grounding wire which he wants added an leave it as is since it was approved in1974 I know the electrican would not do this on his own thank s for any help

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
a store in a shopping mall is being remolded the service is a three phase 208/120 volt 1000 amp located in the main service room. the 1000 amp breaker is feeding a sub panel with parallel runs of750al tw wire in two runs of 4in thin wall conduit.the mall was built in1974 and there is no grounding conductor run with the other wires the emt pipe is used as the grounding means.the new print calls for a 4/0 wire to be pulled in with the conductors in each pipe lots of luck I don't think you can use 2 new separate pipes to pull in the grounding conductors back to the service because they are not part of the cable assembly there is nothing wrong with the way it is but the print calls for that 4/0 wire to be added ques? would the architect have to make a change order to omit this grounding wire which he wants added an leave it as is since it was approved in1974 I know the electrican would not do this on his own thank s for any help

So there are already 4 (ea.) 750's in the 4" EMT?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If plans are stamped and signed by whoever and have been approved by the AHJ, then you are not allowed to make any changes to the plans. The only one who can change them is the person who stamped them and they must be resubmitted and reapproved by the AHJ.

kwired

Electron manager
Code minimum requirements are met, but you also have designer's specifications to meet. If you want a compromise you need designer's approval, and possibly AHJ if plans need resubmitting because of the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.