Extending lightning protection conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreamlineGT

I have a dwelling that had lightning rods on the roof, and the wire runs down the house and into the basement, and connects to the cold water pipe. I also have another wire connected to the same water pipe and runs underground to the well casing. The other day they had a new well tank put in, and now the wires don't reach the pipes anymore. What is the proper way of extending them?? I have no extra wire like that, can I use bare copper and split bolts? AWG requirements? Never done this before.....

Thanks,

Brendon

StreamlineGT

Thanks, so if I read it correctly, wire being 57,400 cm minimum, where connections are bolted is fine. So #2 and some split bolts, where the pullout strength is more than 200 lbs. A split bolt should do that, right? I shouldn't need to use that special wire that they used, that loose woven copper stuff?

mdshunk

StreamlineGT said:
I shouldn't need to use that special wire that they used, that loose woven copper stuff?
I'm not sure if you're asking me or not, but I have no idea. I don't do this sort of work. I know where I could buy the materials in my area, since the farm silo erectors seem to do a lot of lightning protection work. It seems they mostly use copper C-frames to connect this sort of conductor.

wbalsam1

StreamlineGT said:
I have a dwelling that had lightning rods on the roof, and the wire runs down the house and into the basement, and connects to the cold water pipe. I also have another wire connected to the same water pipe and runs underground to the well casing. The other day they had a new well tank put in, and now the wires don't reach the pipes anymore. What is the proper way of extending them?? I have no extra wire like that, can I use bare copper and split bolts? AWG requirements? Never done this before.....

Thanks,

Brendon

My understanding is that the interconnecting conductor you're mentioning is required to be sized as per the main.
It states at 780, 2004, 4.14.1.4: Main-size lightning conductor(s) should be used for interconnecting these grounding systems to the lightning protection system.

Also, a far as split bolts go, I would try to use an irreversible connection, but here is the language which seems to allow the type of bolting you're discussing: 780, 2004, 4.13.1.4: The down conductor shall be attached permanently to the grounding electrode system by bolting, brazing, welding or high-compression connections listed for the purpose. :smile:

RayS

maybe it's just me, but does it bother anyone to have the lightning downlead coming inside, then out? Seems like you're inviting it in. I realize that you'd need to bond it anyway, but I'm thinking I'd like to see the main run go out and away from the house to the well casing first...

Status
Not open for further replies.