extending SE conductors with mechanical connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleveland Apprentice

Another electrician told me it's ok to use mechanical connectors to extend SE conductors. He said this should pass inspection. I prefer and will probably use compression barrels. Just curious if anyone else would use mechanical connectors and if it's legal.

I am changing out an electrical panel in a residence and the SE conductors are couple inches short of terminating on main breaker. Breaker is 100 amp and using #2 cu. Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
How does this differ from running the cable into a splice box and then to the main panel, other than the panel is the splice box in this case?

Cleveland Apprentice

How does this differ from running the cable into a splice box and then to the main panel, other than the panel is the splice box in this case?

I was just under the impression that the possibility of mechanical connectors loosening up over time and no ocp. Just wondering if anyone else would use mechanical connectors. Thanks

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Did it yesterday with AL conductors and passed as well. Extended inside the cabinet. The mechanical connectors that is.

stew

One potential drawback to mechanical splices in larger conductors is that if you manipulate the splice too much after it is made up the wire has a tendency to loosen in the barrel. I always make sure to bend my conductors and get them as close as possible to a final position before I make a final tightening of the ball points.Then try not to move the whole mess too much after that.Just a caution but I also would use ball point splices in a heartbet if needed. If its just a short section of meter to main connections I usually just replace the hots. Sometimes the neutral is just bared in the section that is in the meter an runs as one continious wire and in that case I just leave it and splice in the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.