Extension Cord - Repair or Replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

When, if ever, is it okay to repair (new end / insulation repair / etc.) an extension cord?

When must it be replaced (destroyed?)?

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
I can't see where you can't put a new end on a cord, just not a 4" box with receptacles. If it's cut or crushed or brittle it goes into the trash.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe OSHA has something to say about it. I have heard that you could not put ends on an extension cord but that was total hearsay.

davidr43229

According to OSHA Regulations (Standards ? 29CFR) Use of Equipment ? 1910.334:

?... Portable cord and plug connected equipment and flexible cord sets (extension cords) shall be visually inspected before use on any shift for external defects (such as loose parts, deformed and missing pins, or damage to outer jacket or insulation) and for evidence of possible internal damage (such as pinched or crushed outer jacket). Cord and plug connected equipment and flexible cord sets (extension cords) which remain connected once they are put in place and are not exposed to damage need not be visually inspected until they are relocated.?

??If there is a defect or evidence of damage that might expose an employee to injury, the defective or damaged item shall be removed from service, and no employee may use it until repairs and tests necessary to render the equipment safe have been made.
Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.