Extent of work when hanging flat panel TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoltageHz

When you hang a flat panel, on average, how many customers want electric brought up behind the TV? Do you have a lot of customers that will allow the wires to hang down to save money on installation costs?

One reason I ask is because I see a lot of larger stores selling TV hanging services, sometimes giving it away for free with the TV. However, these "Geek Squad" guys aren't licensed electricians, from what I've seen.

Are the customers just letting them hang the wire down, possibly using an extension cord if a receptacle isn't close enough?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
When you hang a flat panel, on average, how many customers want electric brought up behind the TV? Do you have a lot of customers that will allow the wires to hang down to save money on installation costs?
I cannot think of an occasion where I would have given the customer the option of not adding a recep. Why else would I be standing there?!?

VoltageHz

I cannot think of an occasion where I would have given the customer the option of not adding a recep. Why else would I be standing there?!?

I'm asking what the customers ask for, in comparison to services offered by others, not what you option, George.

I think the gist of my curiosity is pretty clear.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds like you're asking about customer preference, which basically makes every installation a custom job. There is no usual preference. I take it upon myself to discuss the options and the cost of each.

As George suggested, and while I'll do whatever the customer prefers, a 'mechanic' could hang a TV. I'm there because I do wiring. I install a receptacle and the LV wiring, unless an LV company is doing it.

VoltageHz

It sounds like you're asking about customer preference,

That's exactly what I am asking:

When you hang a flat panel, on average, how many customers want electric brought up behind the TV?

I see unlicensed Geek Squad Home Theater and other chain store HT installation trucks in front of a lot of houses these days. I see prices ranging from free to $300 per installation from these unlicensed installers.

Adding electric into the mix could double that. That's why I am curious if it's common for licensed contractors to get customers trying to get cheaper installation by not having electric run behind the TV.

I've seen EC's here mention hanging 1-3 flat panels per week, so I figured there would be plenty of stories.

electricmanscott

I'm asking what the customers ask for, in comparison to services offered by others, not what you option, George.

Maybe you should have said "answer only what I am asking, do not stray from the question, I don't want any other opinions" :roll:

The guy takes time to give input on the question, legitimate input at that, and that's the way you thank him. Nice.

VoltageHz

Maybe you should have said "answer only what I am asking, do not stray from the question, I don't want any other opinions" :roll:

The guy takes time to give input on the question, legitimate input at that, and that's the way you thank him. Nice.

I'm very thankful for George's post. :grin:

Your post, on the other hand... What purpose is that serving? If the purpose was "to put me in my place" it worked, and thank you for that.

mkgrady

The beatings will continue as long as it takes to improve moral.

I have been asked to install a recept behind a wall mount TV because the Geeks did not include it in their installation.

Some people just hang the TV and have all the wires exposed on the wall. Those people don't need an electrician

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Adding electric into the mix could double that. That's why I am curious if it's common for licensed contractors to get customers trying to get cheaper installation by not having electric run behind the TV.
If that were the case, we're probably not the ones the customer would have called out for the install. The answer to the original question, therefore, is "most of them want the wiring in the wall."

PM me if you're interested in my usual method of supplying power to the receptacle. By the way, your username is cute. It reminds me of the Christmas button you have to say aloud to get:
15485596_125x125.jpg

You may find that some here will disagree with you, though, and will insist that CurrentHz. ;)

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have been asked to install a recept behind a wall mount TV because the Geeks did not include it in their installation.
Thank goodness for that, at least. There are a couple of LV guys around here who occasionally call us for wiring, and I've even done a few complete installs for them.

I spoke with a guy at FireDog before CC went under, by the way, about doing power wiring with/for them. They wanted to pay what I thought was ridiculously little. :roll:

mkgrady

You may find that some here will disagree with you, though, and will insist that CurrentHz. ;)

I hate it when people post my exact thoughts. Please stop doing this.

Actually I feel a little clueless because when I read VoltageHZ name I didn't even get it till you commented on it

VoltageHz

I hate it when people post my exact thoughts. Please stop doing this.

Actually I feel a little clueless because when I read VoltageHZ name I didn't even get it till you commented on it

I can tell you from experience that 277v hurts a LOT more than 120v. You can argue the technical nature all day, but my Pain-O-Meter is fully functioning :grin:

Cue Zog to tell me how stupid I am ;):grin:

mkgrady

I can tell you from experience that 277v hurts a LOT more than 120v. You can argue the technical nature all day, but my Pain-O-Meter is fully functioning :grin:

Cue Zog to tell me how stupid I am ;):grin:

I know all too well. It was over thirty years ago I touched one of those neutral wires in a lighting panels. You know, the ones that can't hurt you. I completed a 277 volt lighting circuit when my hand touched the enclosure. I'll never do that again!

fillmorr

on a new construction the customer wanted receptacles up high for there tvs in just about every room i think i spent a couple weeks moving these up an down before they decided on 5 ft center measurment i mean they had tv places all over even on a back pourch

satcom

Thank goodness for that, at least. There are a couple of LV guys around here who occasionally call us for wiring, and I've even done a few complete installs for them.

I spoke with a guy at FireDog before CC went under, by the way, about doing power wiring with/for them. They wanted to pay what I thought was ridiculously little. :roll:
The guys that just hang the tv's no wiring at all they charge from 299 up depending on size of tv owner supplied hanging hardware.

VoltageHz

I wonder which one hurts more, 240 or 277?:D
I was hit was 240V once, 277V seems worse but it could just be the way I was hit and the circumstances.

I'm gonna say that's too close to call.
Never been hit by 480. Bet that really would hurt.;)

I was hit with 480V once, early on in my apprenticeship, just a complete lack of attention and respect for the situation. I didn't just put one hand where it didn't belong, I put BOTH hands where they didn't belong. And that's after it was explained to me that those buses were hot and I should keep my hands away from them.

I don't know what it felt like when I got hit, but I know that I was suffering in the hospital and over a week later from the muscle soreness.

Status
Not open for further replies.