Exterior 1200 Amp Panel [225.30(B)]

xguard

I'm wanting to replace an outdoor switchboard, 1200 amps, with a 1200 amp panel. The existing service equipment and additional disconnects / equipment are all mounted on the same wall, meaning there's no additional space on the wall. In an effort to minimize downtime I would like to install the new service equipment and panel on it's own pad about 8 feet from the existing wall. Am I now limited by 225.30(B) to six feeders from the panel into the building since the panel is not in or on the building?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you are under '2020 or can get your AHJ to accept 2020, 225.30(F) seemingly allows you to go as planned.

xguard

If you are under '2020 or can get your AHJ to accept 2020, 225.30(F) seemingly allows you to go as planned.
We're under the 2020 code. It's not clear to me who the ahj is. We're a state government agency and own our own labs, office buildings, complexes, etc. Outside of the Fire Marshal noone else polices construction projects. We are the owners I mean and do our own design , inspection, and code enforcement.