Exterior Double Throw Safety Switch

Bjenks

Went to a commercial site that had a 600A meter in the electric room that use to feed a triple tapped gutter that then went to 3 service disconnects and then to three tenant spaces. But it looks like at some point they ran the service from the meter outside to a non-fused 600A Sq D double throw safety switch to hook up a temporary generator if needed. It then goes back to the gutter and taps to the original disconnects. I went to the SQ D site, and it says UL Listed as suitable for use as service equipment. Am I correct in telling the owner that they either need to put a fused version in to create a service or remove it all together? Don't believe this can be installed legally, but want to confirm I am not missing some code. IMG_4819.jpg

retirede

If it says “Suitable for use as service equipment” I don’t see a problem.
As long as it doesn’t say “Suitable only for use as service equipment…..

What code section do you see as a violation?

Bjenks

2020 230.90? My understanding is that using 230.82 (5) & (6) still requires OCPD in front of it. 230.82 (3) to me only applies when the utility is required it in front to their meter at 480V. But if you know a code that allows it, I would definitely like to know it. I will say maybe I don't understand what is means when an equipment says, "Suitable for service entrance when equipped with neutral assembly or equipment grounding kit." Does the code allow a non-fused disconnect that says "SUSE" to be used in front of a service disconnect where the breaker/fuse is located? I know 230.66 requires my service equipment to be SUSE rated.

Bjenks

Does not require an OCPD on the line side of the switch, but it does require one immediately adjacent thereto. 230.91.
It’s all by itself outside the electric room where there are OCPD. Is it possible outside the utility approval (since you can just flip the switch off and tap into it for free power) to just label it EMERGENCY DISCONNECT and label the downstream service disconnected as SERVICE DISCONNECT and you are fine? Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Does not require an OCPD on the line side of the switch, but it does require one immediately adjacent thereto. 230.91.
To me, immediately adjacent to is fuses in n the same enclosure. I can't think of any other OCP that the reset isn't integral to the circuit interruption. I guess one could argue that, if you want to waste money you could have the OCP be a separate enclosure with a chase nipple, but a close nipple would be lose, but not "immediately".

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
i would think most inspectors would see it as a violation of 230.82

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
To me, immediately adjacent to is fuses in n the same enclosure. I can't think of any other OCP that the reset isn't integral to the circuit interruption. I guess one could argue that, if you want to waste money you could have the OCP be a separate enclosure with a chase nipple, but a close nipple would be lose, but not "immediately".
I don't read it that way, and I see as clearly permitting the OCDP to be in a separate enclosure from the disconnect. I would also read immediately adjacent as being an enclosure that is withing reach of the service disconnect and not having any other enclosures between the service disconnect and the OCPD enclosure.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It’s all by itself outside the electric room where there are OCPD. Is it possible outside the utility approval (since you can just flip the switch off and tap into it for free power) to just label it EMERGENCY DISCONNECT and label the downstream service disconnected as SERVICE DISCONNECT and you are fine? Still trying to wrap my head around it.
I would not permit the "emergency disconnect" label as 230.85 only applied to one and two-family dwelling units.
I don't see where the outside switch was ever compliant with the code requirements.