Exterior Egress Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteiner

I'm having trouble finding the code requirement for EXTERIOR lighting at building exits. I know it's in either the International Building Code or the Life Safety Code, but I can't seem to find out. Any help?

msteiner

In Ch. 10, Section 1006.1 of the 2003 IBC reads in part, "The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times. . . ." Exit Discharge is defined as that portion of an egress system between the termination of an exit and a public way, so I guess that implies exterior illumination is required. I thought I remembered reading something much more explicit about this requirement, but maybe not.

Also, Section 1006.3 calls for EMERGENCY illumination at the portion of the exit discharge immediately adjacent to exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits. Most of the inspectors I've spoken with do not require this exterior lighting to be on battery or generator backup. Does anyone have contradictory experience?

Mr. Bill

Notice the astrix next to that section number you quoted in the IBC. It means refer to Appendix A for additional clarification. In Appendix A they say that emergency light is not required to the public way but only to a safe distance from the building. I think this is what you're looking for.

msteiner

Mr. Bill said:
Notice the astrix next to that section number you quoted in the IBC. It means refer to Appendix A for additional clarification. In Appendix A they say that emergency light is not required to the public way but only to a safe distance from the building. I think this is what you're looking for.
Maybe I'm using a different IBC version, but I don't have an asterisk, and Appendix A is "Employee Qualifications".

bphgravity

In some cases, the exterior parking lot lighting and/or site lighting will serve the purpose of illuminating the exit discharge.

In our city, the police/fire department have an ordinace that requires a certain ammount of illumination to be provided at all times in parking lots of commercial facilites. This usually provides sufficient illumination at the exterior exit and exit discharge.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bphgravity said:
In some cases, the exterior parking lot lighting and/or site lighting will serve the purpose of illuminating the exit discharge.

In our city, the police/fire department have an ordinace that requires a certain ammount of illumination to be provided at all times in parking lots of commercial facilites. This usually provides sufficient illumination at the exterior exit and exit discharge.
That presumes that whatever caused the power outage inside the building did not affect the parking-lot lighting, doesn't it?

Keri_WW

Also see NFPA 101 7.8.1.3 and 7.8.1.4.

7.8.1.1 basically says provide light until you reach the public-way. It's slightly ambiguous and most likely at the discretion of the inspector....

iwire

Staff member
LarryFine said:
That presumes that whatever caused the power outage inside the building did not affect the parking-lot lighting, doesn't it?

I agree Larry, in my area that would not fly unless the parking lot was on emergency back up as well.

bphgravity

Yes Larry. Usually, the closest pole to the building entrance/exit will have emergency backup. These are usually the same ones that stay on all night while the rest are turned off during non-business hours.

Ragin Cajun

Don't forget this gem: (missed by many)

700.16 Emergency Illumination.

Emergency illumination shall include all required means of egress lighting, illuminated exit signs, and all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination.

Emergency lighting systems shall be designed and installed so that the failure of any individual lighting element, such as the burning out of a light bulb, cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination.

You need TWO bulbs on the exterior. I typically required a two head, NEMA 3R remote from the exit light.

RC

Keri_WW

Yeah that is basically what NFPA 101 7.8.1.4 states. I would also make the argument that in the case of fluorescent, MH, etc you will also need more than one ballast in case it is not the lamp that fails, but rather the ballast.

Ragin Cajun

Keri_WW said:
Yeah that is basically what NFPA 101 7.8.1.4 states. I would also make the argument that in the case of fluorescent, MH, etc you will also need more than one ballast in case it is not the lamp that fails, but rather the ballast.

NO NO NO!!!

The code says "BULB". NOT lamp, ballast, battery, etc. Don't give the manufacturers ideas. Next they will want TWO complete emergency fixtures "for the children".

rant off

RC

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ragin Cajun said:
NO NO NO!!!

The code says "BULB". NOT lamp, ballast, battery, etc.
I'd believe that as long as your single ballast will keep one tube lit, no matter what.

Some ballasts will keep tube "A" partially lit if tube "B" goes bad, but not vice versa.

iwire

Staff member
bphgravity said:
Yes Larry. Usually, the closest pole to the building entrance/exit will have emergency backup. These are usually the same ones that stay on all night while the rest are turned off during non-business hours.

That would be an oddity in this area, I can not connect site lighting to the emergency system unless it is required to be egress lighting and I have never seen that in this area.

It is also rare for any place around here to leave lights on all night unless it the building is in use all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.