Exterior ground rods driven at pole barn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a panel in a guy's pole barn I installed it with two Hots and neutral and a ground from another sub panel in his first accessory building the inspector wants two ground rods connected to the sub panel in the pole barn driven in the ground is this legit or can I tell the homeowner that it's going to be extra if he wants them driven? Any thoughts on this would be helpful guys thanks!! grounding and bonding is screwy between officials maybe the ahj is trying to take authority here

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Connection to a grounding electrode system (GES) is required at the pole barn. If there are no electrodes present then you need to make an electrode. Two ground rods is the simplest method but not the only one. The GEC will connect to the EGC bus in the sub-panel. As far as extra payment that's between you and the customer but IMO since they're required they should have been part of the original estimate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I installed a panel in a guy's pole barn I installed it with two Hots and neutral and a ground from another sub panel in his first accessory building the inspector wants two ground rods connected to the sub panel in the pole barn driven in the ground is this legit or can I tell the homeowner that it's going to be extra if he wants them driven? Any thoughts on this would be helpful guys thanks!! grounding and bonding is screwy between officials maybe the ahj is trying to take authority here
If you were hired to do the job then IMO you did not finish the job. You should know that rods are required as Infinity mentioned. They need to be at least 6' apart

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Unfortunately this ones on you. This has been required for many cycles, read 250.32(A)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.