Exterior lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackBone

Hey guys. This is my first post and I want to say that I appreciate all of the experience on this board!!

My question is: Has anyone encountered an install/remodel request for exterior lighting at either side of a garage door where the material is rock? Not river rock or brick which is usually of the same height, but little boulders that are definately not uniform in size or shape?

My problem is that I am not sure what to do to keep my box even and not showing any parts of the box. Also it seems to me that the installed lighting fixture would also not fit flush due to the dissimilar sizes and shapes of the surrounding rock.

I am sure I could cut the hole with a carbide edged hole saw if I am careful, just not sure about what it would look like once it is time to intall the box.

I've seen it done but it appears to me that the boxes were installed as new construction and the rock built around the installation.

Any experience or suggestions on such a type of install?

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can surface mount a box... uggggly. You can mount a board over the rock and mount the box in the board.-- not as bad but still not right.

Or you can try to mount a box in the joints of the stone and mortar around it to create a flat spot.

I usually warn the HO of the situation so they understand what it may look like. A flood in the soffitt is a whole lot cheaper and easier. :D

480sparky

Any place that sells or installs stone, whether natural or man-made, will have access to special stones that are flat for mounting lights, receps, etc.

stone.jpg

stone2.jpg

ceb58

A flood in the soffitt is a whole lot cheaper and easier. :grin:
Or can lights. You can get your self in trouble trying to mount boxes after the fact in these type situations. Broken mortor joints , rocks falling out.......

480sparky

stickboy1375 said:
Now all you need to do is get the fixture centered on the block. :grin:

I tried to get the HO on this one to select their fixtures before the stone went up so I could avoid this, but they dragged their feet and couldn't understand. If I had the fixture in hand as the stone went up, we could have moved the (centered) hole in the case stone, along with the box, down so the fixture (sorry, luminaire) would have been centered.

I just keep plugging away. At least next time, I'll have a photo to show.

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
I tried to get the HO on this one to select their fixtures before the stone went up so I could avoid this, but they dragged their feet and couldn't understand. If I had the fixture in hand as the stone went up, we could have moved the (centered) hole in the case stone, along with the box, down so the fixture (sorry, luminaire) would have been centered.

I just keep plugging away. At least next time, I'll have a photo to show.

I know the feeling, it happens often, people just do not get it.

BackBone

480sparky said:
Any place that sells or installs stone, whether natural or man-made, will have access to special stones that are flat for mounting lights, receps, etc.

stone.jpg

stone2.jpg

This looks like the best option. As far a can lights, I believe the HO wants to eluminate the entire driveway for entry and safety. I think the cans would only produce a downward flood or spot -- not sure if it would give light in every direction. Now only to find a masonry guy that will do the job!:wink:

BackBone

Exterior Lighting

Exterior Lighting

I think the reply showing the special rocks just for electrical installs is the best bet. Thanks guys for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.